Academic Coach (Grant-Funded)
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$15.00 per hour (Hourly rate varies by grant requirement)
Provides individual and group academic coaching sessions in an open lab, virtual, and/or one-on-one setting in support of instructional programs. Participates in developing academic resource materials as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrates knowledge and skills in tutoring students in specific academic area(s) in an open lab and/or self-paced setting. Conducts group and individual tutoring sessions for students; determines what skill areas require additional assistance.
• Experience assessing the progress of assigned students to ensure effective learning results are obtained. Must be able to explain concepts in a manner that students understand. Ability to perform essential functions utilizing knowledge and skills within the specific subject area(s) of support.
• Ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with diverse students, staff, and faculty regarding tutor/student assignment(s). Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality of all student information, material, and discussions shared in the tutoring relationship.
• Ability to assist students in the development of study skills and techniques to help improve their academic performance. Ability to provide excellent academic expertise and adapt tutoring methods to meet the student needs.
• Must be flexible and able to adapt to change; must demonstrate strong organizational and time management skills. Must be punctual, begin all sessions promptly, use time for academic tasks, and focus on the student’s needs. Must be technologically proficient and be able to assist students with basic technical skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required to effectively assist individuals from diverse backgrounds. Knowledge and experience providing effective customer service.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Associate degree required.
• Plus one (1) year as tutor/teacher in the subject area or related experience
• Able to work after school hours, nights, and/or weekends.
• Official transcript is required.
*** Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Preferred Skills/Additional Requirements:
THIS IS A GRANT_FUNDED POSITION. Grant-specific requirements and qualifications for the position are an Associate’s degree or higher, one year of student experience or experience in a general office environment in an organization related to underserved populations. This tutor position requires Math tutoring experience, but skills in tutoring Reading and Writing are a plus. The applicant will also need experience working virtually, using online technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides tutoring to diverse Dallas College students in open lab/self-paced settings through collaborative interactions to assess student needs, provide constructive and accurate feedback, engage critical thinking, and encourage independence. Conducts workshops and/or boot camps on various subjects that support student learning.
• Fosters a positive learning environment while guiding students through the learning process as it pertains to understanding and engaging with coursework, assignments, and projects. Works with students individually or in small groups to utilize resources, clarify concepts and complete assigned material.
• Provides input in developing and maintaining resource materials needed to demonstrate learning objectives for use in tutoring environment. Maintains records as required under department guidelines. Maintains strict confidentiality of all student information, material, and discussions shared in the tutoring relationship.
• Helps students to develop study skills; refine and apply understanding of course material and key concepts learned. Utilizes excellent communication skills and adapts tutoring methods to meet the needs of the student.
• Maintains confidentiality of student records in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Ensures offices and files are adequately secured on a daily basis.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Dallas College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Dallas College are posted, job seekers please sign up at new job openings at Dallas College.