Position Title: Carpenter
The Carpenter performs all duties, orders, and actions to maintain, repair, improve, and modify campus buildings and grounds considered necessary by faculty, staff, management, or outside parties.
- Receive daily instructions regarding tasks or jobs that are required to be completed.
- Plan tasks according to their importance, taking safety and the conditions involved into account.
- Organize equipment, materials, and tasks to maximize the time spent executing tasks and minimizing issues, delays, and interruptions.
- Use knowledge, skills, and creative solutions to perform tasks, using salvage and storing reusable materials to minimize cost.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness and safety at the worksite.
- Respond to any issues that arise when on call.
- Record all pertinent info via electronic files.
- Sign off on jobs and report all expenses to a supervisor or administrative assistant.
- Follow up on and monitor past jobs if there were outstanding issues or ongoing concerns.
- Provide guidance, assistance, and training to other staff as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Move furniture, setting up and taking down for events as necessary.
- Attend meetings and perform administrative tasks regarding work orders as necessary
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of machinery and mechanical, electrical, plumbing, heating, and cooling systems.
- Knowledge of relevant safety requirements, and the ability to maintain a safe working area.
- Knowledge of the materials used, industry standards, and trends in carpentry
- Good math skills, and the ability to create estimates and use measuring tools.
- Ability to be creative and resourceful.
- Organized thinker with exceptional attention to detail.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to give and receive verbal instructions.
- Ability to serve as a liaison between two or more parties.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work as well as concentrate on multiple tasks simultaneously.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must have one to three years of experience in working as a carpenter.
- Experience with using hand tools, chemical solvents, and coatings.
- A valid driver's license is required.
- Position requires heavy physical activity, and the ability to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds frequently, and up to 20 pounds constantly to move objects.
- Requires the ability to climb, balance, kneel, stoop, and reach.
- Required to use close vision and be able to focus.
- Regularly required to talk and hear; frequently required to sit, stand, and bend at the knee and waist, and walk.
- Must be able to have repetitive wrist, hand and/or finger movement to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
- Will work indoors and outdoors, and will be routinely exposed to inclement weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Exposed to the intense noise of carpentry and other equipment, machinery, and tools.
- Incumbents may be subjected to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dust, gases, poor ventilation, chemicals, oils, bodily fluids, inadequate lighting, workspace restrictions, and working at height.
- May be required to wear a respirator if conditions warrant
- Will be required to be on call for incidents that arise and for emergency situations.
Hours of Work
M-F 7:00 am- 3:30 pm
Flexibility to address University needs
To view more information and to apply please visit: https://mwsu.peopleadmin.com/
When inquiring or applying for positions at Missouri Western State University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Missouri Western State University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Missouri Western State University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Missouri Western State University .