POSITION TITLE: Director of Residence Life
Reporting to the Vice President for Student Services, the Director of Residence Life oversees all aspects of the University’s residence life program including selecting, training, supervising and evaluating professional and student staff. The Director of Residence Life maintains the safety and security of approximately 500 residential students in 8 residence halls.
- Plan, develop, and coordinate a residence life program designed to engage students and stakeholders in the on-campus living community.
- Provide response to students/staff for situations including students in crisis, student behavioral issues, student wellness, general student safety, and roommate conflicts.
- Receive and respond to concerns and complaints from students, parents, and/or other stakeholders.
- Provide direction and support for staff development, including the recruitment, selection, training, evaluation, and supervision of staff positions with the department
- Participate and provide staff with opportunities for personal growth and development through active membership and participation in professional organizations at state and regional levels.
- Interpret, enforce, and review policies and procedures necessary to provide a safe and secure living environment on-campus; submit proposed changes which require approval to the Assistant Vice President for Student Services.
- Work cooperatively with the Student Conduct Coordinator to address Honor Code processes, policies, and violations.
- Work with the Assistant Vice President for Student Services to provide educational and social programming to residents.
- Assist the Assistant Vice President for Student Services with the requests from groups and individuals to return to campus prior to scheduled operating dates (early arrivals).
- Assist the Assistant Vice President for Student Services in administering the University’s residency requirement and meal plan requirements.
- Inspect all residence halls on a regular basis.
- Work with Assistant Vice President for Student Services to ensure routine maintenance and custodial requests are addressed in a timely manner.
- Work with Assistant Vice President for Student Services to coordinate development and submission of annual maintenance and facility improvements with Facilities Management Team and monitor achievement.
- Develop specific, achievable, and measurable short-range goals for the department.
- Identify trends and potential patterns within the housing profession, working with appropriate University stakeholders to improve or develop processes.
- Conduct studies, surveys, and reports necessary and requested to comply with institutional or governmental requests/regulations, including periodic accreditation reviews.
- Schedule and conduct regular staff meetings with Residence Life Staff to convey information, to coordinate functions of the department, and to provide staff development opportunities.
- Represent Department of Residence Life at recruiting events and new student orientation.
- Serve on university committees, as assigned.
- Be an active and engaged member of the Campus and Residential Life Team.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with other units of the University essential to the operations of the University and the Residence Life Department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Preferred and Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred from an accredited college or university in related field
- 3 years’ experience in housing or residence life required.
- Prefer 3 or more years of related experience in student affairs
- Knowledge of student conduct processes, student development philosophies and a demonstrated ability to respond to complex and emergency situations in a clear, calm, and consistent manner required.
- Proficient leadership, collaboration, communication and organizational skills required.
- Requires work on evenings, and weekends.
- 2 years of supervisory experience
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including the ability to develop and lead multi-functional teams and to address complex personnel issues in a decentralized environment
- Self-motivated individual with a high level of integrity and trustworthiness with demonstrated leadership experience
- Able to work effectively in a diverse and participatory environment
- Demonstrated ability to navigate change effectively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion with a solid understanding of cultural, ethnic, and individual identities
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality
Submit resume, transcripts and cover letter to HRINFO@JARVIS.EDU
When inquiring or applying for positions at Jarvis Christian University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Jarvis Christian University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Jarvis Christian University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Jarvis Christian University .