Southern Utah University invites applications from individuals with vision, creativity, energy, and initiative for this full-time, 10.5-month, tenure-track faculty position in the Gerald R. Sherratt Library. The Learning Experience Librarian coordinates, develops and promotes information literacy instruction across the disciplines, F2F and online. As library faculty, the successful candidate will teach library courses, provide one-shot instruction, work at the general reference desk, select materials for assigned liaison subject area(s) and be responsible for other assigned library tasks/services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
I. Reports to the Department Chair and Executive Library Director, the Learning Experience Librarian coordinates, develops, and promotes library instructional design and development activities.
A. Designs and delivers library and information literacy resources.
1. Creates and maintains accessible online content designed to promote and facilitate learning of information literacy skills.
2. Produces and supports instructional materials and other online learning objects such as electronic tutorials and reference guides.
3. Builds and makes accessible media content that supports the instructional goals of the Library.
B. Implements online information literacy instruction in collaboration with faculty throughout the university.
1. Working collegially with campus faculty, integrates engaging and innovative information literacy competencies throughout the university curriculum.
C. Implements and assesses the effectiveness and outcomes of online learning endeavors.
1. Evaluates and measures effectiveness of library instruction initiatives.
2. Works closely with the Assessment Librarian to conduct usability studies and needs assessments of library instruction efforts.
3. Works closely with the campus Online Teaching & Learning department.
D. Coordinates ad hoc library instruction.
1. Cooperatively schedules library liaison instruction requests from campus faculty equalizing workload across Department librarians.
II. General Library Assignments:
A. Acts as a liaison from the Library to one or more academic departments.
1. Initiates and maintains professional acquaintances with the chair, and with departmental faculty individually.
2. Encourages faculty in course- and assignment-related involvement with research instruction, helping faculty structure sound student assignments to foster both subject learning and transferrable research skills in relevant information resources.
3. Provides research skill-development instruction to courses within the assigned-liaison departments and other areas where needed.
4. Uses LibGuides, the Library website, and other tools to create discipline-specific digital and print informational tutorials, guides, handouts, and reference to the subject areas.
5. Conducts collection development for one or more subject area(s) relevant to the liaison assignment, including new-acquisition selection, and weeding in the area(s).
B. Develops courses and teaches assigned sections of courses that originate in the Department of Library Media.
C. Works collegially with other faculty and staff in internal planning and decision-making processes for the Library, including leading and participating on one or more work groups.
D. Assumes regular service assignments at the Questions Desk, which may include occasional nighttime and weekend assignments.
E. Maintains current knowledge of trends and issues in librarianship and higher education including those related to specific area(s) of responsibility as liaison.
F. Maintains scholarly activity and participation in institutional, professional, and community service as required for promotion, tenure, and retention under applicable departmental and University policies.
G. Participates in faculty committees and governance as assigned.
H. Other duties as required and assigned by Library Administration.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Documents Needed to Apply:
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its members; and encourages individual commitment to personal responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus life.
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any member of the University community on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy, pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission, access to educational programs and activities, or other University benefits or services.
To Apply: Please use the "Apply" Button Below or see the Job Description Above
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com.
Be first to receive notifications of new jobs in your specific area by signing up for Job Alerts Here.