Online Full-Time Faculty - Computer Science - Associate Professor
Requisition Number: ONLIN002497
Location: Online / RemoteOnline / Remote
* When Applying: Upload a CV and a copy of unofficial transcripts, Master's Degree and above. Student issued/unofficial copies are acceptable. Please do not send us official copies, unless specifically asked.
- Reports to: Department Chair
- Department: Academics
- School: STEM
- Program: Computer Science
- Location: Remote
- Date Closing: Open Until Filled
- FLSA Status: Exempt
Synopsis of Role:
Full-time faculty members are first and foremost teachers and play a key role within a school as course leads. They are united by the common goal of inspiring academic excellence in students with a broad range of interests and experiences. They are key to creating a rewarding online learning experience for students by engaging them, challenging them, and supporting them. They provide the resources for a quality learning experience for students by ensuring coherence in the discipline, rigor in the content, and relevance and currency to the practice. Full-time faculty members/course leads contribute to a range of activities that support student learning outcomes, program quality, and discipline integrity, all of which focus on student learning and retention. They work with other departments including instructional design, Library and course materials, and marketing.
Academic Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Responsible for course curriculum quality to include:
- Teaching excellence
- Deliver online lessons to undergraduate and/or graduate students.
- Initiate, facilitate, interact and moderate online classroom forums.
- Be a faculty leader in your classes embracing fully the Community of Inquiry Framework of Teaching Presence, Cognitive Presence, and Social Presence.
- Comply with APUS guidelines and expectations for quality faculty engagement online.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers within the timeframe set forth by APUS policy providing effective feedback to guide student learning and success.
- Engage in the classroom and reply to emails, etc. at least every other day, including one day during the weekend.
- Remain aware of classroom procedures and use of instructional materials.
- Participate in professional development to enhance teaching skills.
- Annually complete at least two APUS Faculty Development modules for effective online learning and teaching.
- Work with Director of Programs and collaborates with faculty to ensure discipline, program and course continuity, currency, and relevance.
- Define course objectives, review regularly, and revise as needed.
- Update course content and materials and/or delivery methods, based on information such as emerging practice changes in the discipline, instructional effectiveness data, current or future performance requirements, feasibility, and costs.
- Analyze courses and prepare analysis for program and course reviews, and course and homework contact hours.
- Remain aware of new classroom procedures, APUS requirements, and instructional materials.
- Attend regular meetings with Director of Programs to stay aware of how their courses fit within the overall program progression and other APUS requirements.
- Ensure APUS instructional standards and policies are reflected in course design.
- Ensures model courses are developed and maintained according to applicable APUS, accreditation, certification, or other requirements.
- Contribute to advancing the discipline as a leader
- Keep abreast of developments in one's own field by reading current literature, engaging with colleagues, and participating in professional organizations, conferences and discipline-related professional communities.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Administrative responsibilities
- Attend school and discipline meetings (monthly or quarterly) on curriculum, content, development of discipline and practice, and APUS expectations.
- Convene meetings with faculty teaching your courses to ensure they are aware of the curriculum intent.
- Provide guidance to instructors to clarify lessons, assignments, and course design elements.
- Please note: faculty hired for this position could be teaching at Doctoral, Graduate and Undergraduate levels depending on qualifications and program need. If selected to teach at the Doctoral or Graduate level, the faculty member will be subject to additional research requirements.
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Cooperation - Pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
- Communications — Knowledge of communication and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform via written, oral, and visual media.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Deep Knowledge - Knowledge of one's discipline family and practice and the ability to translate theory and practice into learning opportunities that advance the discipline.
- Education — Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and knowledge of measurements.
- Initiative - Willing and able to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Leadership - Willing and able to lead; take charge, and offer opinions and direction.
- Learning Strategies — Selecting and using instructional methods and procedures appropriate in the discipline family when learning or teaching new things.
- Monitoring — Monitoring/assessing curricula to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Self-Control - Maintain composure, keep emotions in check, control anger, and avoid aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
- Stress Tolerance —Ability to accept criticism and deal calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
Preferred and Required Qualifications
Required Education and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Five or more years of teaching experience is required.
- College-level teaching experience is required.
- Industry experience within Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a closely related field is highly desirable.
- Subject matter expertise in topical areas emphasized in the NSA's Cyber Operations designation requirements.
- ABET accreditation experience is preferred.
- Online teaching experience is preferred.
- Proven history of industry-based or academic research.
- Capability to support non-traditional students (adults/working adults/part-time students, etc.) in achieving the learning outcomes of the relevant courses.
- Ability to instruct and support students from a broad variety of backgrounds and prior experiences.
- Ability to uphold academic rigor and integrity, and simultaneously assist students in achieving academic and practical success.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs is required.
Preferred Areas of Expertise and Experience
- Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Data Science
Compensation and Benefits:
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Sitting, extensive use of keyboard
*Please note: Full-time faculty members and directors are to consider APUS their primary employer. Full-time salaried faculty and directors may not be full-time employees of any university, school, college, or institution of higher education outside of APUS; this includes administrative, staff, and teaching positions.
*Please note: Applicants selected to proceed in the hiring process with conferred degrees from foreign institution(s) will require a course-by-course evaluation completed by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) approved agency. All charges associated with official transcripts and foreign transcript evaluations are the responsibility of the applicant and are not reimbursed by APUS.
Required for LinkedIn Job Posting: #LI-Remote
To apply, visit https://recruiting.ultipro.com/AME1070/JobBoard/711bd40f-864c-42db-8c62-3c62f2edc13f/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=65f6bfbd-e591-48b5-b47c-55fbd9493ff4
When inquiring or applying for positions at the American Public University System, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at the American Public University System and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at the American Public University System are posted, please sign up at new job openings at the American Public University System .
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency