Location: Various communities in the Northwest Territories, Canada
Placement duration: Starting in August 2022 until June 2023
Language Requirements: English
Open to Citizens from North America, Europe and Australia
What impact could you have? Have a positive and lasting change in Indigenous communities!
As an Education Assistant, you will provide your knowledge as an educator, share your experiences about the world, inspire students to learn and pursue further education, and encourage students to believe they can become who they aspire to be!
You will help facilitate the e-learning program for students in grades 4-12 where you will connect your classroom to a network of other classrooms in various schools in the Northwest Territories also facilitated by other Education Assistants like yourself. You will work directly with assigned teachers (including the host teacher), participate in activities both inside and outside the classroom, and be engaged with the community through intercultural events throughout the school year.
If you are a self-motivated individual with an interest in teaching, learning about indigenous cultures, and being involved with the community, then this is the placement for you!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Work in the school as a tutor (Math and/or Science is an asset)
- Assist the students during lessons, under the direct supervision of the headteacher
- Monitor the progress of the students and report back to the classroom teachers
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in the school gym, labs, libraries, resource centers and on field trips
- Support fundraising events at the school and community level
- Help in other capacities (including computer instruction, art, music, sports) depending on your skills, training, and hobbies as well as the needs of the school
- Completed university degree or college diploma
- Ability to pass the vulnerable sector police check
- Experience teaching or presenting material to children and youth, particularly students with special needs.
- Knowledge of Indigenous Peoples in Canada (experience working with Indigenous Peoples is an asset)
- Strong understanding of working with High School age students
- Display an understanding of different learning styles
- Be culturally sensitive and have an openness to learning about different cultures
- Computer literate and knowledgeable of technology
- Previous volunteer or work experience either in Canada or in other countries
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
What’s in it for YOU? A life-changing experience!
Each volunteer placement is a unique experience. Read about the impact of previous volunteers in the Northwest Territories: Niroja Thirugnanasampanthar (Fort Providence), Lois Boody (Fort Resolution), Richard Marlow (Fort McPherson), Nathan Burrows (Fort McPherson), Jana Kasparova (Tuktoyaktuk)
Cuso International is a not-for-profit development organization that works to eradicate poverty and inequality. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals to work alongside local partners to maximize their impact through capacity building. We work in partnership with governments, civil society organizations, multilateral agencies and the private sector to develop and deliver programs aimed at advancing gender equality, promoting the empowerment of women and girls, and improving access to and quality of economic opportunities for young people.
Beaufort Delta Education Council
The most northerly school board in the Northwest Territories with all eight communities and nine schools located north of the Arctic Circle, the BDEC serves 1382 students in the region and is responsible for about 200 administrators, teachers and support staff. Cuso International is currently working with the schools in Aklavik, Inuvik, Fort McPherson, Paulatuk and Tuktoyaktuk.
South Slave Divisional Education Council
Responsible for the education of approximately 1300 (JK-12) students in the South Slave region, the Council's mission is to strive to prepare students to create their futures. Their primary responsibility is to provide for the educational needs of the students of the South Slave region. Cuso International is currently working with the schools in Fort Resolution and Hay River.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
Please note that if you are shortlisted for the placement, you will be required to:
Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
Cuso International works with poor, vulnerable and marginalized people, mainly women and girls, to eradicate poverty and inequality. We understand the need to uphold and enforce the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct.
At Cuso International, we believe that all people, regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed (religion), sex, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity or disability have the right to live lives free of harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Cuso International considers all forms of harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse to be incompatible with fundamental belief in the human dignity of all people, international and national agreements and standards, and with its core values. Cuso International volunteers must agree to uphold the Child Protection, Prevention of Workplace Violence, Prevention of Workplace Harassment and Discrimination, and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Polices and Code of Conduct.
Apply Here: https://cusointl.org/3us5PLy
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Cuso International and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com