Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$36,000 - $57,600 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$17.31 per hour
Dallas College seeks a dynamic individual to play an important role in the operation of the one of the seven new Dallas College academic Schools (the Schools). The Lab Specialist will serve within one of the Dallas College academic Schools. Dallas College is establishing the Schools with a new, ambitious academic framework to ensure the Schools align with the North Texas region’s workforce and industry needs to ensure graduates’ success in their careers.
The Lab Specialist will report to the Lab Manager. The Lab Specialist is responsible for maintaining materials, supplies, equipment, and information systems while providing technical support for courses and programs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge about laboratory operations, laboratory information systems (software and hardware), and laboratory equipment in one or more discipline areas within the School.
• Advanced ability to use computer technology to access data, maintain records, generate reports and communicate with others.
• Must have strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, detail-oriented approach to work, strong decision-making skills, good follow-up, ability to complete tasks.
• Utilizes excellent interpersonal, listening, oral and written communication skills in order to communicate effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders and constituents in the Dallas College community network.
• Strong knowledge and experience providing effective customer service. Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
• Must be able to comply with district policies/procedures as well as applicable local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
• Must complete required Professional Development training hours per academic year.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Associate degree plus one (1) year of related work experience and/or experience in a teaching environment. In lieu of associate degree, two years of related work experience may be substituted. Official transcripts are required.
• Official transcripts are required. Some positions may require specific state licensed/certifications depending on the discipline. ***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Preferred Skills/Additional Requirements:
NOTE: The Lab Specialist will be responsible for daily operations of Artistic Supplies and Creative Labs for Fashion Design programs at one or more of the following campus locations (Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, Northlake and Richland Campuses). This position reports to Lab Manager - Art, Fashion Design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Key responsibilities of the Lab Specialist include (but are not limited to):
• Responsible for daily operations and maintenance of laboratories, specialized classrooms, learning laboratories, tool rooms and equipment in support of courses and programs.
• Promote and support safety through laboratory safe practices and provide training for students on safety procedures and hazardous materials handling. Maintains all Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) information for all chemicals and materials as required.
• Responsible for performing periodic inventory and maintaining accurate inventory for equipment, tools, materials and supplies. Receives, stores, and issues tools, supplies or equipment associated with courses or programs.
• Maintains log of tools, materials and equipment distributed and returned. Responsible for security of assigned inventory.
• Responsible for maintaining tools, equipment, and information systems in good working condition and ensuring that repairs are scheduled and completed in a timely manner; perform minor repairs and calibrations as needed.
• Responsible for scheduling preventative maintenance of equipment and recommend replacement or new equipment acquisitions. Schedule repairs and prepares and tracks purchase requisitions.
• Serve as primary point of contact for vendors for quotes and purchases.
• For learning labs, partner with faculty to coordinate appropriate learning lab support services including student orientation and training. Responsible for troubleshooting lab hardware/software issues. Monitor students in the computer lab during open lab periods.
• Assist in the monitoring of lab activities to ensure a safe and clean learning environment.
• Serves as a resource to students, staff and faculty in area of specialization.
• Monitor and control budget expenditures within allocation.
• Hire, supervise, and evaluate lab assistants and assigned staff. Determines work schedules and assignments in collaboration with faculty.
• Keeps up to date on the professional and technical aspects on the job.
• Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
• Utilizes excellent communication skills and the ability to interact with diverse internal/external stakeholders and constituents within the DCCCD community network.
• Provide excellent customer service.
• Perform other job duties as assigned.
Reports to: Lab Manager
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Dallas College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Dallas College are posted, job seekers please sign up at new job openings at Dallas College.