|Job Title||Summer Program Class Assistant, Upward Bound|
|Employee Type||Part Time|
|Hiring Range||Commensurate with experience|
|Work Year-Other Information|
|Typical Work Schedule||
To be determined based on program enrollment.
|Bargaining Unit Eligibility||No|
|Work Week-Other Information|
|Application Review Begins|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
Multiple positions available for dynamic, versatile, and committed class assistants for a Summer Academic program at McHenry County College. This six-week, position includes 1 training week, four days of supervision of 30 high school youth in an academic pre-college program, and 1 week of evaluation
Actively work with staff in implementation, supervision, and support of youth in all phases of programming activities. Supervise and support 7-10 students during class/tutoring sessions.
Supervise and assist 7-10 students during afternoon work study/ career exploration. Mentor and advise student participants in their pursuit of post-secondary education Plan and supervise evening recreational activities during residential component. Chaperone one scheduled field trip each week.
Supervise and maintain order among youth at all times. Attend all staff meetings and maintain required records.
|Reports to||Director of Upward Bound Program|
|Essential Functions and Responsibilities||
- Provide general assistance and support to Upward Bound staff and summer instructors during 6-week summer program
- Monitor and oversee students
- Perform data entry and assist with maintaining electronic and hard copy filing system as needed
- Assist staff with keeping accurate and detailed records of services rendered to participants
- Maintain strict confidentiality of participant's information in accordance with FERPA
- Provide general administrative and clerical support including mailing, scanning, faxing, printing and copying for staff as needed
- Assist and support Upward Bound staff in the office, at summer site, etc. with the planning, preparation, coordination, and implementation of services and activities such as participant workshops and group coaching sessions, classroom instruction, correspondences, general communication (telephone and email contact), newsletters, and field trips, etc.
- Assist with chaperoning TRIO participants on college tours, educational and cultural activities and field trips.
- Create, and/or modify documents including correspondences, program flyers, reports, drafts, memos, emails, etc.
- Attends to and initiates calls to students and parents as needed.
- Call, send mailings, text messages, and voice recordings to participants and parents as needed.
- Manage social media accounts
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or directed
|Required Education||High School Graduate or equivalent plus specialized training|
|Other Required Qualifications||
- Applicants must be a high school graduate and registered for college with a strong academic record and a valid driver's license
- Possess excellent interpersonal, communication (oral and written) skills, as well as effective organizational and time management skills
- Must be comfortable wearing professional dress attire
- Be able to follow directions/directives, as well as be conscientious and detailed oriented.
- Provide excellent customer service and possess the ability to foster positive interactions with the Upward Bound staff, school administrators, teachers, staff, students, parents, and the general public
- Be sensitive to the needs of a diverse populations
- Be a quick starter and learner and be able to take initiative
- Have the ability to travel to various summer sites to provide onsite support to assist the Upward Bound staff
- Be able to pass a criminal background test
- Be available the first week of June for a week of training
- TRIO alumni or experience working with TRIO students
- Experience working with teenager in a camp setting or a residence hall
- Relevant academic background that reflects a commitment to academic excellence
|Skills and Specifications||
- Strong knowledge of academics
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good judgment skills
- Communicates and listens well
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Adaptive to different academic levels and needs
- Open and encouraging, yet appropriately assertive
- Punctual and dependable
- Takes directions well, but also offers ideas
- Works well with other staff members
- Positive outlook and demeanor
- Available day and/or evening hours
- Ability to perform all the essential functions, skills, and specifications of the position
When inquiring or applying for positions at McHenry County College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at McHenry County College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at McHenry County College are posted, please sign up at new job openings at McHenry County College .