|Job Title||Women's Basketball Assistant Coach|
|Department||Athletics, Intramurals, & Recreation|
|Employee Type||Part Time|
|Work Year-Other Information||Fall/Spring|
|Typical Work Schedule||
|Bargaining Unit Eligibility||No|
|Work Week-Other Information||TBD|
|Application Review Begins|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
Certification in First Aid and CPR/AED or obtain prior to employment; Valid Driver's License
Position will support Head Coach, assist in planning, preparation and coaching of players. Dedicated to uphold the philosophy of the program and college.
Responsibilities include creating strategies for the team, instructing the players, recruiting, and providing mentorship. Solid knowledge of basketball, winning strategies, and good communication skills to lead to program success.
|Reports to||Director of Athletics|
|Essential Functions and Responsibilities||
A sound, committed educational philosophy that includes a strong understanding of and commitment to overall student development in academic, personal, athletic and other areas
Prior coaching experience of at least two years, preferably as a coach at the college, H. S. or similar competitive level. Strong recommendation from the head coach.
Prior experience or a demonstrated ability to successfully:
- Assist, as directed by the head coach, in attracting/recruiting a talented roster of participants to include a combination of H.S. event, practice, campus and/or home visits, using technology and other successful recruitment methods. An expectation that recruits' academic history, character, background, ability, financial/family support, commitment etc. will become known and result in a successful experience at our institution
- Assist with orientation of athletes to MCC and the sports program
- Understand and commit to appropriate and safe athlete conditioning activities. (Conditioning is not to be perceived as disciplinary)
- Knowledge and ability to instruct athletes in fundamental and advanced college-level techniques as appropriate. Excellent teaching ability and an understanding of the different learning styles of students
- Assist with retention and advancement of players with concentration on academic, athletic and personal growth and success
- Scout opponents in those sports having this as a normal expectation
- Assist head coach, students/parents with four year placement activities
- Review all practices, facilities and conditions on a regular basis to reduce liability and potentially negative consequences
Assist with a planned schedule of academic support, academic progress monitoring and follow-up on student-athletes, as directed by the head coach
Assist head coach with developing strong and positive media relations along with the reporting of scores, prior to media deadlines, on the date of every home and away event. Seek and/or recommend feature stories to the head coach
Assist head coach with regular departmental, conference, regional, and/or national: polls, requests, results reporting, web sites, statistics, play-off rosters and team and individual photos etc., as directed
As directed, assist head coach with things like planning travel arrangements, advances, submitting expense reports with receipt documentation (within the month that the advance was used), transportation, advance travel itineraries for multi-day trips etc
A commitment to planned and self-directed orientation activities as well as staff development e.g. attending coaching clinics, CPR and AED certification sessions.
Attending conference and regional seeding, all-conference and/or other like meetings as a substitute for the head coach or as directed or needed.
Attract, assist with other staff/student volunteer(s) to enhance the program
A current personal and professional situation that, for the successful candidate, will allow for a typical availability of at least two years in the position
Contribute to schedule development, if directed, in cooperation with the director and/or head coach
A willingness to perform/assist with fund-raising activities, as necessary, to enhance a sport-specific program, per best practices for that sport e.g. funding for overnight/tournament/spring travel/trips
An understanding of community relations and activities that contribute to the department and college mission's. Excellent friend-raising capabilities
High ethical and moral character along with a personal code of conduct conducive to representing a college-level, public educational institution and expecting athletes to model those positive behaviors.
An expectation of staying within guidelines, rules, policies and procedures established by the NJCAA, Region IV, the ISC Conference, MCC and other supervisory or oversight organizations. Expecting athletes to do the same
Attendance at coaching staff meetings, as requested
To enhance college/community relations and connectivity, oversee/assist with internal and/or external outreach and enhancement activities that may include such things as special events, summer activities, sports leagues, tournaments, fundraisers, open gym, camps, clinics etc.
An ability to successfully work independently and in cooperation with other coaches, athletic, institutional and other staff. Earning the respect of opponents
The ability to positively motivate a team and individuals. To have student-athletes, individually and collectively reach their potential. To support and assist with college and/or community volunteer activities.
A good driving record and completion of driver safety training (to be confirmed by the Office of Physical Facilities), to allow for the driving of college and/or rental vehicles. Following procedures as set forth for driving vehicles, by the Physical Facilities Office. Monitoring seat belt usage by travelers
Basic computer skills/access to include: e-mail, current e-mail address, statistics and other job-specific/technology related skills, strongly preferred
Strong organizational and communication skills. Assist with practice organization
Certification in First Aid and CPR/AED either prior to employment or as part of post-hiring MCC staff development. To insure that appropriate paperwork and documentation is filed on athletes who become injured when under supervision
A strong, pre-existing connection to the geographical area known as McHenry County, is preferred
Involvement in Club, AAU, Travel teams and other like athletic entities, a plus.
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics and/or the head coach
|Required Education||High School graduate or equivalent|
|Other Required Qualifications||
- Associate's Degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Two years work experience in sports or recreation administration or related environment
- Valid Illinois driver's license/clean driving record
- Knowledge about college athletics/sports
|Skills and Specifications||
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and internet
- Ability to learn technological applications
- Ability to grow with technology and philosophical directions implemented by the College
- Knowledge, creativity, and ability to use computer and other emerging technologies to enhance/support office functions
When inquiring or applying for positions at McHenry County College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at McHenry County College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at McHenry County College are posted, please sign up at new job openings at McHenry County College .