Under direction, the intern will perform tasks and support of academic research projects. Responsibilities may include: maintaining C. elegans stocks, preparing reagents, genotyping, performing behavior experiments, data entry and analysis, and giving presentations.
(100%) Lab Support
- Maintaining nematode stocks
- Preparing reagents
- Performing behavior experiments
- Data entry
- Data analysis
- No professional experience required
- Basic use of computer programs (Word, Excel)
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience
- Undergraduate coursework in life sciences or equivalent work experience
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Punctual, meticulous and rigorous in completing an assigned task.
- Theoretical knowledge of biological sciences.
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with changing priorities and interruptions.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking and adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills utilizing sound judgment, tact and a recognition of situations requiring confidentiality.
- Ability to diplomatically and professionally interact with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly adjusting focus, grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing and working in confined areas.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com