Permanent Full-Time Excluded Position
8:30am to 4:30pm / Monday to Friday (Telecommuting Options Available)
Grade 13 ($88,475 to $117,967 per annum)
Emily Carr University of Art + Design is a school of students, faculty, thinkers and makers unlike any other. Established in 1925, we are the only specialized, accredited, public, post-secondary university in British Columbia solely devoted to education and research in the creative sector and its associated knowledge economy. We merge research, critical theory and studio practice in an interdisciplinary environment, strengthening our work by the integration of our personal and professional practices. Our strategy, facilities, partnerships and resources are intentionally student-centred to foster dialogue, expression and open connections in support of the next generation of creative and cultural leaders.
The University Secretary is the senior advisor on governance-related issues and is responsible for advisory support to promote the efficient operation of the University Board of Governors and Senate. The University Secretary works closely with the President + Vice-Chancellor, Board of Governors, Senate, other members of the Senior Administration team and constituencies of the University to provide counsel on matters of process and governance, as they are prescribed through legislation, by-laws, policies, procedures, and regulations to the University community. A key responsibility of this position is the promotion of good governance practices and academic integrity. The University Secretary shall endeavor to foster a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) for all those who attend our campus for work, study, or collaboration. This will require that they remain current in EDI trends impacting their field of work and make recommendations to the President + Vice-Chancellor on how to improve governance processes and structures.
Benefits of Joining the Emily Carr community:
- Enrollment in a comprehensive benefits package, including Dental Coverage, Extended Health, Disability Coverage and Life Insurance.
- Membership in the College Pension Plan.
- Access to personalized telecommuting options.
- Competitive Vacation and Professional Development benefits.
Some Typical Duties:
- Provides leadership in the development and management of the governance structures and processes of the university, and in ensuring institutional compliance with government expectations, legislation, legal requirements, and best practices.
- Responsible for all internal and external enquiries received on behalf of the Board of Governors and Senate.
- Advises on issues that are relevant to the Board of Governors and Senate business including By-Laws, Rules of Order, University Act, Conflict of Interest, Code of Ethics, and Code of Conduct.
- Drafts the Board of Governors and Senate regulations and procedures and ensures the governance policies are adhered to.
- Assists the Board of Governors and Senate in decision-making and prepares resolutions for Board Governor’s and Senate consideration.
- Researches, drafts, maintains, and develops Board of Governors and Senate approved University Policies and Procedures in conjunction with the Senior Administrative team. Provides guidance and clarity to members of the community.
- Anticipates substantive and procedural difficulties that may occur and recommends ways to avoid or ameliorate them.
- Coordinates the conduct of university elections such as elections of faculty, professional support staff and student members to Senate and the Board of Governors.
- Organizes and oversees orientation for new Board of Governor’s members, new Senators, and Board of Governor’s retreats.
- Provides administrative services to the Senate by managing the flow of materials, recommendations and decisions relating to academic programs and academic standards of the University which come to Senate through its committees. Liaises with the Registrar and other administrative officers who perform other administrative services on Senate’s behalf.
- Maintains and regularly updates Governance section of website, including Board of Governors, Senate, and Policies and Procedures.
- Liaises with representatives of other post-secondary institutions, all levels of government, private business and the public to exchange information and coordinate work efforts.
- Ensures the Board of Governors and Senate records are properly maintained and distributed to required audiences.
- Maintains oversight of shared governance issues ensuring proper coordinator between the Board of Governors and the Senate.
- Manages the Associate University Secretary. Participates in recruiting, orientating, training, performance managing, development, and coaching.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends and legislation related to the Board, the Senate, and the University, and provides knowledge to and planning and decision making.
- Performs other related duties as required.
As the successful applicant, you should possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. A law degree is an asset.
- Minimum five years’ progressive experience at a senior administrative level providing Board of Governors and Senate support in a post-secondary education environment.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Direct public sector experience with governing boards and committees, including best practices in governance.
- Strong knowledge and experience in policy, academic research, and report writing, including the ability to apply statutes, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively with a wide variety of representatives from government, non-governmental organizations, academia, and the private sector.
- Demonstrated experience preparing high quality detailed reports dealing with individual and systemic issues, including identifying and applying relevant legislation.
- Experience working in unionized environments is an asset.
- Problem-solving skills, with the ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Knowledgeable with all applicable laws and regulations governing the post-secondary environment.
- Experience in policy development and the ability to interpret and apply statutes, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to establish a professional network and to positively represent Emily Carr University in the community.
- Proven ability to provide leadership, guidance, and direction to others.
- Ability to maintain objectivity while driving appropriate outcomes, managing multiple stakeholder agendas, and promoting high client service standards.
- A strong commitment to reconciliation and to increasing accessibility, equity, and diversity, and the ability to maintain an inclusive climate that reflects the University’s goals related to reconciliation and equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Intellectual and conceptual flexibility and creativity, with the ability to analyse, interpret, present, write and speak about complex ideas and concepts in a clear, concise fashion.
- Understanding, appreciation, and commitment to the university’s mission of teaching and research.
To apply for this job, please visit https://ecuad.peopleadmin.ca. Posting open until filled. Application review will begin 4 July 2022.
Emily Carr University especially invites those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized. These include women, persons with diverse gender expressions and identities, persons of all sexual orientations, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and First Nations, Metis, Inuit and Indigenous persons. All qualified people are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Emily Carr University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Posting open until filled. Application review will begin 4 July 2022