An adjunct instructor is responsible for the planning, preparation, and evaluation of classroom instruction and related activities. An Adjunct Instructor performs all other duties as directed by the appropriate Dean, Division Chairperson, or the President or his designee. Adjunct instructors are employed on a part-time, per course basis for one semester, as determined by the Division Chairperson for each academic division. These are non-tenure tract positions.
- Master's degree in the teaching field or Master’s degree with eighteen (18) graduate semester hours in the teaching field.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Teaching experience is preferred.
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course contract
- Prepare course materials and lesson plans
- Provide students an approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies in line with those of the School, texts and readings, assignments and deliverables, timelines and evaluation criteria
- Use the University’s learning management system to post syllabus, assignments and other materials and to communicate with students
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide interesting and engaging assignments that demonstrate the real-world applications of concepts covered
- Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations; provide feedback in a timely manner on student progress
- Be available for student consultation through office hours or scheduled appointments or by phone or email
- Maintain records of enrollment and attendance, assessments and grades, submit class rosters and grade sheets by the deadlines established by the University
- Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations when available and use feedback to improve course delivery
- Revise and update course content as needed
- Meet with the Dean or Program Chair as needed to discuss all aspects of the course including student progress and curriculum development (may be required to provide input into program development)
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Current knowledge of the relevant discipline
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching adult learners
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring students
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment
- Ability to deliver course outcomes and content through a variety of teaching/learning styles
- Ability to use technology effectively in teaching
- Respect for students and a genuine interest in their learning
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good organizational skills and timeliness in responding to student inquiries
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with students and colleagues
- For online teaching, experience with teaching fully online or in hybrid format
SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION
- Performance of this job will be evaluated by the immediate supervisor in accordance with provisions of the Jarvis Christian University Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Assume responsibility for own professional growth and development, keeping current of best practices in area of responsibility
- Adhere to the Jarvis Christian University Code of Ethics
A letter of interest; resume; transcript(s); and the names, titles, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three (3) professional references are required for applicants to be considered. Screening of qualified applicants will continue until the position is filled. Electronic submissions are encouraged; please forward your application materials to HRINFO@JARVIS.EDU, or DDELINT@JARVIS.EDU a completed application packet can be submitted to:
Jarvis Christian University
Office of Human Resources
P.O. Box 1470
Hwy. 80 E, PR 7631
Hawkins, Texas 75765
When inquiring or applying for positions at Jarvis Christian University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Jarvis Christian University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Jarvis Christian University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Jarvis Christian University .