Prairie View A&M UniversityAcademic Advisor II (College of Education)Job Title
Academic Advisor II (College of Education)Agency
Prairie View A&M UniversityDepartment
University College - Academic AdvisingProposed Minimum Salary
$2,964.00 monthlyJob Location
Prairie View, TexasJob Type
The Academic Advisor II, under general supervision, provides accessible, intrusive, effective academic advisement for all upperclassman in the College of Education. Advises or refers students and prospective students in areas concerning college admission and readmission, professional concerns, housing, financial aid, student services, degree programs, academic schedules, course schedules, course planning and selections, major options, and career and educational goals. Advises students with academic, probationary, and financial concerns and determines possible courses of action. Reviews degree plans with students.Responsibilities:
Required Education and Experience:
- Provides holistic, intrusive advisement to upperclassmen in the College of Education ; advises students based on their major and academic backgrounds; instructs the students in the requirements of their selected majors and classes and the use of the degree plan and other advisement tools (i.e. course descriptions) to select courses; assists student to change or select majors/minors as required; uses instruments such as the Career Cruising, Holland Self-Directed Search, MBTI, etc to assist students in assessing their interests, strengths, learning/study styles, etc; monitors the progress of these students; contacts the student and insure that the student understands the seriousness of absenteeism and its impact on academic success when notified of student absences; provides students with information concerning academic support services; and instructs students in the use of PantherTracks to register and view grades.
- Participates in orientation activities including participation in Orientation dates; calls all who register for Orientation days and fill out the appropriate pre-work sheets; insures the students are listed in the correct major and verify their TSI status; registers the student by phone; provides advisement and registration during the Orientation days; participates in recruitment activities such as Panther Land Day, the Major's Fair, Preview Days, school visits and career days as required.
- Works with faculty and staff to develop career plans for students in the College of Education.
- Serves as the point of referral for support services for students; maintains an updated knowledge of support resources both on and off campus; works with the Freshman Advisor to assist freshman majors in a smooth transition to the College of Education.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an applicable field.
- Two years of related experience in advising and recruiting.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Knowledge of student information systems, degree planning and degree audits.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent written communication, analytical, interpersonal, organizational skills.
Job Posting Close Date: Required Attachments:
- Work beyond normal office hours and/or work on weekends.
- Travel required.
Please attach all required documents listed below in the attachment box labeled as either “Resume/CV or Resume/Cover Letter” on the application. Multiple attachments may be included in the “Resume/CV” or Resume/Cover Letter” attachment box. Any additional attachments provided outside of the required documents listed below are considered optional.
Application Submission Guidelines:
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
All applicants are required to apply via our Career Site on or before the closing date indicated on the job posting. Applicant inquiries received via email and websites such as Indeed, HigherEdJobs, etc. will not be considered unless the individual has applied to the available position via the PVAMU Career site.
The required documents listed in the above "Required Attachments" section must be attached to the application prior to the job closing date indicated to ensure full consideration for the application submitted. Please contact the Office of Human Resource on or before the closing date indicated above at 936-261-1730 or firstname.lastname@example.org
should you need assistance with the online application process.Background Check Requirements:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/PVAMU_External/job/Prairie-View-PVAMU/Academic-Advisor-II--College-of-Education-_R-049586About Us
For more than 140 years, Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) has been igniting passion in its students. With an established reputation for producing engineers, nurses and educators, PVAMU offers baccalaureate degrees, master’s degrees and doctoral degree programs through nine colleges and schools. The University has an enrollment of more than 8,500 students. Designated an institution of “the first class” in the Texas Constitution, PVAMU is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state and a member of The Texas A&M University System. The University is dedicated to fulfilling its land-grant mission of achieving excellence in teaching, research and service.
PVAMU is conveniently located near the rapidly growing residential and commercial area known as the Northwest Houston Corridor. The developing Northwest Houston Corridor offers newly developed suburban communities, a variety of shopping and dining near the Houston Premium Outlets and is a short, 35-minute commute into downtown Houston. For more information, visit www.pvamu.edu. Your career opportunities with a “University of the first class” begins here!
Prairie View A&M University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
If you need assistance in applying for this job, please contact (936) 261-1730.Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
When inquiring or applying for positions at Prairie View A&M University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Prairie View A&M University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To sign up to receive email alerts as soon as new job openings at Prairie View A&M University are announced: New job openings at Prairie View A&M University