Adler University is a thriving private institution located in Chicago, IL; Vancouver, B.C; and online. Our institution's mission is to graduate socially responsible practitioners, engage communities, and advance social justice. At Adler University, we are committed to make a positive impact on the world. At Adler University, we are for a more just society.
Under the general guidance of the Manager, Community Action & Engagement, the SJP Coordinator executes key lifecycle functioning in alignment with strategic objectives of the Online campus Social Justice Practicum (SJP). The role collaborates with key internal and external stakeholders toward ensuring the effective coordination of all SJP activities including but not limited to: coordination of SJP student placement as well as ongoing monitoring of student progress, working with Manager, Community Action & Engagement to resolve student issues and the coordination of the SJP Final Presentations, assist in evaluating and distributing student grades upon student SJP completion. The SJP Coordinator leverages industry knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of the Center for Civic Learning and Community Action and the institution. Supports culture development and management efforts.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Minimum four (4) years professional experience required.
- Experience overseeing student-focused programs, and/or working in nonprofit, community engagement, and social justice environments preferred.
- Knowledge of student-success theory and practice.
- Ability to effectively function as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on observations.
- Strong demonstration of alignment with Adler's social justice mission and vision.
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning acumen.
- Proficient and functionals knowledge of databases and database management.
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objective and employ assistance in addressing these.
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities.
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity.
- Proficient and functional knowledge of MS Office (Work, Excel, Powerpoint, and Outlook).
- Strong research acumen and abilities.
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening.
- Ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Ability to provide clear guidance and direction to students.
Supervision (if applicable): Not Applicable
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates SJP orientation and additional sessions that prepare and train students for the Social Justice Practicum.
- Assists in the placement of students with the community partner (sites) where they will complete their SJP.
- Collaborates with Manager, Community Action & Engagement and Site Supervisors to review SJP projects that meet the Center for Civic Learning and Community Action's standards, learning objectives, and exit competencies to maximize the experiential-learning experience.
- Monitors student progress to complete the SJP.
- Maintain tracking of student progress within internal data management systems and Time2Track and course grades.
- Collaborate with the Manager, Community Action & Engagement to resolve student issues with their sites, as well as student issues unrelated to site placement.
- Assist with evaluating student learning and distribution of grades at completion of the SJP.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of the SJP Final Presentations
- Assist with SJP Database and Website development and implementation.
- Other duties as assigned and/or required
Work Environment (Physical Demands): The usual and customary methods of performing the jobs functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Universal Core Behaviors:
- Effectively expresses oneself in all oral and written communications.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others informed, as well as responds, in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates match between words and actions.
- Responds with tact, diplomacy, respect and composure when dealing with others.
- Promotes the spirit and essence of the School's Vision, Mission, Values and Key Strategies through both verbal and written communication.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Cooperates with others toward the achievement of common goals.
- Seeks consensus and win-win solutions to problems and conflicts.
- Contributes actively and participates fully in team initiatives.
- Puts success of the team above own interests.
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships
Responsive to Change:
- Supports changes in the work environment.
- Displays a proactive, problem-solving approach toward work.
- Committed to life-long learning by continuously increasing skills, knowledge and effectiveness.
- Actively seeks and initiates creative and innovative solutions.
- Exercises sound, accurate and informed independent judgment when needed.
Quality-Driven and Accountable:
- Results-oriented and committed to quality through continuous process improvement.
- Eliminates ineffective activities and closes performance gaps.
- Anticipates and responds to customer needs.
- Monitors own performance, accept responsibility for actions and actively seeks feedback.
- Meets deadlines and completes projects and activities in professional, timely manner.
- Seeks opportunities to increase productivity and/or reduce costs while maintaining highest quality standards (fiscally responsible).
Support of Vision, Mission, Values, Key Strategies:
- Supports and models the School's Values of: social interest, compassion, justice, respect for the individual, honors diversity and difference, intellectual rigor, optimism and collaboration.
- Articulates the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies in a way to educate others.
- Demonstrates active commitment in advancing the School's Vision, Mission and Key Strategies.
- Exhibits personal integrity, honesty, zeal and compassion.
- Aligns work processes to advance the School's strategic plan and key strategies.