Adler University is a thriving private institution located in Chicago, IL; Vancouver, B.C; and online. Our institution's mission is to graduate socially responsible practitioners, engage communities, and advance social justice. At Alder University, we are committed to make a positive impact on the world. More information on Adler University can be found on our website . In order to be considered for this role, please include a cover letter.
Under the general guidance of the Associate Vice President of Communications, the Content Strategist and Writer will work with internal and external stakeholders to drive Adler News' strategy and develop high-quality written content aligned with the University's mission and values. This position will be responsible for driving interest in Adler's academic programs and fundraising efforts, developing long- and short-form content ideas, managing editorial processes, defining distribution strategies, maintaining day-to-day operations of Adler News, and working closely with the Social Media Manager to adapt articles for the University's social platforms.
The Content Strategist and Writer will provide strategic thinking and content performance analysis while leveraging industry knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of the Office of Communications and Marketing in alignment with Adler's overarching enrollment, fundraising, and awareness goals. Supports culture development and management efforts.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications, marketing, or a related discipline is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in editorial strategy and content development along with a strong understanding of working with content management systems (CMS) such as WordPress and a portfolio showcasing digital storytelling capabilities is required.
- Experience working in higher education, at a non-profit, new organization, or marketing and communications agency and experience with SEO, UX, Google Analytics, and ADA best-practices is preferred.
- Strong demonstration of alignment with Adler's social justice mission and vision.
- Extensive writing and editing experience for various audiences and channels, generating ideas, managing processes, stakeholder input, and content calendars.
- Experience working with social content creators to adapt storytelling for social media platforms.
- Enjoys interviewing, writing, brainstorming, and collaborating, putting quality over quantity and expedience.
- Solutions-oriented with strong budget and project management skills to effectively manage resources and execute multiple projects on time and within budget.
- Proficient and functional knowledge of M.S. Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on analytics and observations.
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning acumen.
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objective and employ assistance in addressing these.
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities.
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity.
- Strong research acumen and abilities.
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategy Development and Reporting:
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President of Communications and Associate Vice President of Marketing to develop integrated, cross-platform content strategies with measurable KPIs to elevate and enhance the University's brand across owned channels and audiences.
- Develops and manages editorial calendars, organizes content through CMS, and identifies relevant opportunities for additional distribution and backlinks.
- Provides regular reporting on Adler News and other channels as needed to determine the success of initiatives, identify gaps in content, and present solutions.
- Work with the enrollment marketing team, faculty, staff, and students across the University's three campuses to identify, vet, develop, and disseminate impactful stories that articulate the University's value proposition.
- Raise the bar on creativity by developing engaging headlines and content for web and social.
- Responsible for maintaining brand voice through tone and style, developing narratives/messaging pillars, and activating them throughout content initiatives.
Work Environment (Physical Demands): The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Universal Core Behaviors:
- Effectively expresses oneself in all oral and written communications.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others informed, as well as responds, in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates match between words and actions.
- Responds with tact, diplomacy, respect, and composure when dealing with others.
- Promotes the spirit and essence of the School's Vision, Mission, Values, and Key Strategies through verbal and written communication.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Cooperates with others toward the achievement of common goals.
- Seeks consensus and win-win solutions to problems and conflicts.
- Contributes actively and participates fully in team initiatives.
- Puts success of the team above own interests.
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships.
Responsive to Change:
- Supports changes in the work environment.
- Displays a proactive, problem-solving approach toward work.
- Committed to life-long learning by continuously increasing skills, knowledge, and effectiveness.
- Actively seeks and initiates creative and innovative solutions.
- Exercises sound, accurate, and informed independent judgment when needed.
Quality-Driven and Accountable:
- Results-oriented and committed to quality through continuous process improvement.
- Eliminates ineffective activities and closes performance gaps.
- Anticipates and responds to customer needs.
- Monitors own performance, accept responsibility for actions, and actively seeks feedback.
- Meets deadlines and completes projects and activities in a professional, timely manner.
- Seeks opportunities to increase productivity and/or reduce costs while maintaining the highest quality standards (fiscally responsible).
Support of Vision, Mission, Values, Key Strategies:
- Supports and models the School's Values of: social interest, compassion, justice, respect for the individual, honors diversity and difference, intellectual rigor, optimism, and collaboration.
- Articulates the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies to educate others.
- Demonstrates active commitment in advancing the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies.
- Exhibits personal integrity, honesty, zeal, and compassion.
- Aligns work processes to advance the School's strategic plan and key strategies.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The University does not discriminate against any individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of the Adler's equal employment opportunity policy, Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.