Adler University is a thriving private institution with roughly 2K students located in Chicago, IL; Vancouver, B.C; and online. Our institution's mission is to graduate socially responsible practitioners, engage communities, and advance social justice. At Adler University, we are committed to make a positive impact on the world. At Adler University, we are for a more just society.
Under the general guidance of the AVP, Finance - Planning & Budgeting, the Controller is responsible for
overseeing all accounting activities of the university including financial compliance, financial reporting, accounting
controls and procedures, year-end audit, payroll, and cash management. The Controller leverages industry
knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of the Finance & Accounting department and the
institution. Supports culture development and management efforts.
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline required.
- Minimum seven (7) years' experience required. Prior Controller and higher education experience preferred.
Certifications/Licenses: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Knowledge of GAAP and Canadian accounting processes and principles
- Proficient and functional knowledge of ERP and Datatel's Colleague ERP system
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with a proven ability to work with numbers and financial data
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Proficient and functional knowledge of federal and state regulations
- Ability to handle and manage confidential information
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on
- Strong demonstration of alignment with Adler's social justice mission and vision
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning acumen
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objective and employ assistance in addressing
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity
- Proficient and functional knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Strong research acumen and abilities
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening
Supervision (if applicable): TBD
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Publishes monthly and annual financial statements in a timely manner
- Oversees all accounting transactions and ensure compliance with accounting policies
- Coordinates and oversees annual audit performed by independent, external auditors; ensures the accurate and
timely documenting of audit outcomes
- Coordinates and executes various required internal audits including, but not limited to 403b, financial,
- Produces routine and ad hoc reports
- Oversees accurate and timely cash flow projections
- Directs payables and receivables processes
- Consistently identifies methods to automate and improve existing accounting processes
- Completes bank reconciliations
- Under the direction of the AVP and in collaboration with the Financial Analyst, analyzes budget variances
- Calculates and issues financial and operating metrics
- Ensures the maintenance of Adler's accounting filing system
- Maintains the chart of accounts
- Other duties as assigned and/or required
Work Environment (Physical Demands): The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions
require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling and significant fine finger
dexterity. Generally, the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a
generally clean and healthy environment.
Universal Core Behaviors:
- Effectively expresses oneself in all oral and written communications.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others informed, as well as responds, in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates match between words and actions.
- Responds with tact, diplomacy, respect, and composure when dealing with others.
- Promotes the spirit and essence of the School's Vision, Mission, Values and Key Strategies through both
verbal and written communication.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Cooperates with others toward the achievement of common goals.
- Seeks consensus and win-win solutions to problems and conflicts.
- Contributes actively and participates fully in team initiatives.
- Puts the success of the team above own interests.
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships.
Responsive to Change:
- Supports changes in the work environment.
- Displays a proactive, problem-solving approach toward work.
- Committed to life-long learning by continuously increasing skills, knowledge, and effectiveness.
- Actively seeks and initiates creative and innovative solutions.
- Exercises sound, accurate, and informed independent judgment when needed.
Quality-Driven and Accountable:
- Results-oriented and committed to quality through continuous process improvement.
- Eliminates ineffective activities and closes performance gaps.
- Anticipates and responds to customer needs.
- Monitors own performance, accept responsibility for actions, and actively seeks feedback.
- Meets deadlines and completes projects and activities in a professional, timely manner.
- Seeks opportunities to increase productivity and/or reduce costs while maintaining the highest quality
standards (fiscally responsible).
Support of Vision, Mission, Values, Key Strategies:
- Supports and models the School's Values of social interest, compassion, justice, respect for the individual,
honors diversity and difference, intellectual rigor, optimism, and collaboration.
- Articulates the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies in a way to educate others.
- Demonstrates active commitment in advancing the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies.
- Exhibits personal integrity, honesty, zeal, and compassion.
- Aligns work processes to advance the School's strategic plan and key strategies.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The
University does not discriminate against any individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender
identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including
unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of Adler's equal employment opportunity policy, Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that minority
group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service
medal veterans and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional