Research Assistant I position available in the Kosuri Lab, with responsibilities including performing biochemistry, molecular biology, microscopy, and data analysis techniques, in support of the lab research goals to investigate the physics of biomolecular interactions. Other duties include supporting the projects of other lab members, and general laboratory maintenance including maintaining lab inventories and supplies.
(40%) Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- DNA biochemistry (e.g. purification, modification and analysis)
- Protein biochemistry (e.g. labeling, purification, analysis, functional assays)
- Computational modeling of biomolecules, including DNA origami design
- Reading primary research literature and using this information to guide research
- Gel electrophoresis (DNA & protein)
- Spectroscopic assays
(40%) Microscopy and Image Analysis
- Prepare sample chambers and sample slides
- Operate custom-built optical microscopes
- Operate a commercial Atomic Force Microscope
- Develop software for image processing and data analysis
- Analyze imaging data
(20%) Lab Support
- Manage inventory and restocking of reagents and supplies
- Prepare solutions
- Maintain lab protocols and procedures
- Maintain and clean equipment as needed
- No professional experience required with relevant degree
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge preferably in biochemistry and molecular biology.
- Demonstrated experience with general lab maintenance, including cleaning, stocking supply inventory, and ensuring the maintenance of a sterile environment.
- Demonstrated experience with data analysis, statistics, and programming.
- Research design, data analysis, and scientific writing.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences, biomedical engineering, nanoengineering, or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands-on knowledge of biochemistry techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a reliable, responsible, and forward-thinking team member.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols.
- Demonstrated ability to record and analyze data accurately.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with basic computational systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Skills in setting up computational resources in Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- Skills in using Linux (e.g. installing software and writing scripts).
- Skills in coding and graphing, preferably using Python.
- Skills in network & cloud computing, such as usage of HPCs for computational analysis.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly adjusting focus, seeing, siting, touching/feeling and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com