Facilities Building Operations Technician III
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000 + (commensurate with education and experience)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$25.48 per hour
The Dallas College Facilities Management Department supports the facility needs for Dallas College while providing responsible stewardship and efficient operation of the College's physical assets. The Facilities Management Department is responsible for approximately 5,000,000 sq. ft. of physical space and over 1400 acres of land, located across multiple locations in Dallas County. The position of Facilities Building Operation Technician supports that effort through the performance of advanced skilled craftwork in the HVAC trade.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of HVAC and understands heating cycle to include identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot and repair.
• Demonstrate an understanding the fundamentals of temperature and humidity measurement and control in air conditioning units.
• Understands the process of treating air to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, cleanliness, and distribution.
• Able to read complex blueprints, piping, sketches, schematics, and wiring diagrams.
• Able to train co-workers.
• Demonstrate an ability to preserve facility operations through the monitoring and repair of various mechanical, electrical, plumbing, equipment, and controls.
• Ability to work with others to complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Ability to diagnose all types of HVAC systems and how each component within the system operates in conjunction with the other components and how that impacts the overall operations of the system.
• Able to provide excellent customer service skills with the desire to exceed customer expectations is desired as well as the ability to work independently in a timely manner, making sure the job is done correctly the first time.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, bending over, stooping, twisting, talking, hearing, climbing ladders, using stairs, reaching overhead, crouching, kneeling, or crawling. Pushing or pulling 10-50 lbs., lifting 10-80 lbs., carrying 10-50 lbs., repetitive use of arms and legs, driving, balancing, manual dexterity-fine manipulation or grasping. May require working in adverse weather conditions.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Associates Degree / trade school certificate, and five (5) years of experience repairing and installing commercial heating, air conditioning and electrical systems equipment and HVAC certification or High School Diploma and seven (7) years of experience repairing and installing commercial heating, air conditioning and electrical systems equipment and HVAC certification. Official transcripts required.
• Ability to work extended hours beyond the regular 8:00 am to 5:00 pm workday including nights and weekends.
• Current and valid Texas driver’s license required for offsite travel.
*** Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for performing preventative maintenance, operating, maintaining, and repairing HVAC equipment such as boilers, chillers, pumps, air handler units and cooling towers and ensures that all equipment is working properly and in compliance with established departmental service and maintenance standards.
• Train co-workers in performing these essential duties.
• Responsible for inspecting fire and smoke alarm systems, making necessary minor adjustments and recommendations for major adjustment to supervisor.
• Reads and interprets data from a computerized HVAC/energy management system, charts, gauges, dials, thermostats, adjustments or repairs to appropriate equipment and instruments.
• Repairs and install HVAC electrical and pneumatic components such as motors, compressors, and heat pumps.
• Responsible for performing water analysis and chemical treatment adhering to state/local government regulations to ensure safety and compliance with building codes.
• Reads and interprets blueprints, schematics, and technical manuals in performing repairs and installation activities.
• Responds to evening work orders that require performing minor repairs to electrical, painting, carpentry, plumbing, etc.
• Provides advanced building operations and maintenance services due to primarily working in the evening shift.
• Performs maintenance and plumbing duties. Requisition supplies, parts, equipment, and other related items using a web-based procurement system. Maintains purchase records and monitor budget.
• Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
When inquiring or applying for positions within Dallas College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Dallas College are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Dallas College.