The Research Assistant I position is responsible for performing various molecular biology, cell and biochemistry techniques, mouse handling and colony maintenance in support of the Dr. Panda and lab research goals. Other duties include assisting with general laboratory maintenance, including equipment maintenance, and ordering of supplies, etc.
(50%) Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Biochemistry Techniques
- Molecular cloning (Standard methods and Gibson cloning)
- Western blotting (Southern blotting optional, but desired)
- Purification and manipulation of nucleic acids (e.g. RT-PCR, plasmid & genomic DNA preparation)
- RNA sequencing and analysis
- Culture of primary cells and cell lines
(40%) Mouse Colony Handling and Maintenance
- Mouse husbandry
- Dissection of adult and embryonic mouse tissues
- Tissue processing for histology
- Tissue processing for flow cytometry
(10%) Lab Support
- Assist with cell maintenance.
- Assist with preparing standard media and solutions.
- Assist with weekly inventory of lab supplies.
- Assist with stock and organize incoming lab supplies.
- Clean glassware and equipment as needed.
- No professional experience required with relevant degree.
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge preferably in RNA and DNA isolation from different animal tissues and analyses.
- Demonstrated experience with general lab maintenance, including cleaning, stocking supply inventory, and ensuring the maintenance of a sterile environment.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field
- MS in biological sciences or related field, Independent Research in circadian rhythm in vertebrate model organisms is highly preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of tissue culture and molecular biology techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Mouse husbandry.
- Mouse circadian activity experiments
- Exercise physiology in rodents
- Nutrition and diet intervention in rodents.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, seeing, sitting, touching/feeling, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com