This position will work with a graduate student under the supervision of the PI to help with multiple aspects of projects aiming to understand the distinct roles of different types of cortical neurons in visual circuits. Responsibilities will include histology and microscopy, performing mouse surgeries, and processing electrophysiological recording data. The ideal candidate will be eager to learn and able to work independently as proficiency is acquired. Interest in neuroscience and consistent, longitudinal involvement in research is preferred.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Assist with general lab tasks (wash dishes, prepare standard media and solutions)
- Perform weekly inventory of lab supplies
- Stock and organize incoming lab supplies
- Cutting tissue on microtome or cryostat
- Immunofluorescent stain of tissue and cells
- Mounting tissue on slides in chronological order
- Processing electrophysiological data
- Performing mouse surgeries
- Tag mice and collect tissue for genotyping
- Assist with genetic analysis for genotyping mice
- No professional level experience is required
- Experience in a laboratory setting
- Experience using Matlab and/or Python.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Undergraduate coursework in neuroscience, data analysis, and related courses
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Salk Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant handling, seeing, sitting, and talking.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com