This position will be assisting senior lab members and graduate students in support of academic research projects. The work will be a combination of experimental and computational work. The experimental aspects will primarily include biochemistry and molecular biology work, extracting metabolites from biospecimens and quantifying DNA, RNA and protein levels in our mouse cohorts. Some projects may involve assisting with mouse handling, including transport, non-invasive procedures, euthanasia, and dissection. The computational aspects will include processing of mass spectral data. Prior experience with wet lab techniques and/or basic programming is highly preferred. The intern will be trained to use the specific instruments and computational tools required by the study and to execute all components of the experimental workflow.
- Lab Support (10%)
- Responsible for the preparation of reagents and research chemicals
- Responsible for stocking and organizing incoming lab supplies
- Responsible for cleaning/maintaining glassware and equipment as needed
- Mouse Handling and Metabolic Assays (10%)
- Responsible for handling mice for surgical procedures and metabolic experiments
- Responsible for tissue processing and preparation
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (50%)
- Running metabolite, lipid, DNA, RNA, and Protein extractions
- Quantifying RNA by qPCR and Protein by Western Blot
- Assist in the operation of mass spectrometers and other analytical equipment
- Basic tissue culture as needed
- Data processing (30%)
- Performing statistical analyses on experimental results
- Producing visualizations of results
- Experience in Excel/Prism/Matlab/Python are preferred
- Prior experience in a laboratory setting.
- Familiarity with basic wet-lab techniques, such as pipetting and reagent preparation.
- Prior lab experience (or executing independent projects).
- High school diploma or equivalent work experience.
- Undergraduate coursework in biochemistry, biology, bioengineering, neuroscience, statistics, or equivalent academic experience.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Punctual, meticulous and rigorous in completing an assigned task.
- Driven to learn new techniques (dry lab and wet lab).
- Able to communicate well and work as a part of a team.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including following up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability for record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Skilled in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Theoretical knowledge of biological sciences, metabolism and statistics.
- Basic knowledge of any programming/scripting language including python, MATLAB, Java, C++.
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with changing priorities and interruptions.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking and adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills utilizing sound judgment, tact and a recognition of situations requiring confidentiality.
- Ability to diplomatically and professionally interact with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant grasping, hearing, keying, seeing, sitting, talking, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com