Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The CRoPS project aims to develop crop plants with enhanced root systems to sequester more carbon underground to fight climate change. The Chory lab is looking for a Research Asst II to work under the general umbrella of the CRoPS project, with the goal of increasing root biomass through genetic manipulations. The Research Asst II will, under general supervision with limited instruction for routine tasks, work closely with the Sr. Research Scientist and other members of the Chory laboratory, conduct research in both Arabidopsis and other plant species to identify and characterize new traits for increasing root biomass, and to characterize the underlying genetic mechanisms. Responsibilities include: molecular biology studies, plant genotyping and phenotyping, plant maintenance and manipulation, image acquisition, data analyses, and troubleshooting.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Perform molecular biology studies in plants;
- Phenotype plants;
- Performs selection and genotyping of plants;
- Assists with maintaining lab stocks.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience as a lab technician or research assistant, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge in plant research, preferably in Arabidopsis;
- Previous experience in classic Mendelian genetic analysis;
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis and trouble shooting.
- Previous experience in plant handling and maintenance;
- Experience with general lab maintenance.
- 3 or more years of post-Bachelor experience in wet-lab plant research;
- Demonstrated experience in molecular cloning, RNA handling, DNA and RNA extraction, PCR and qPCR;
- Experience with microscopy and plant phenotyping;
- Experience with Arabidopsis maintenance both on soil and under sterile conditions.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of molecular biology and genetic techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly handling and seeing.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com