Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Research Assistant II position will focus on cell and molecular biology of cultured cells and organoids. A successful candidate will work half of their time on independent projects and the other half on supporting postdoctoral researchers in the lab. The position will be responsible for establishing and utilizing cell-based assays for evaluating the function of candidate genes, pharmacological agents, or secreted molecules and performing molecular biological experiments to characterize the mode of action. Position will be trained in specific techniques and methods in order to execute experiments that are broadly designed by post doc or PI and must be able to carry out and analyze experimental results independently. The overall goal of the research is to understand the molecular and biochemical function of circadian clock components and interacting genes.
(50%) Tissue Culture
- Independently maintains cultures of human and mouse cells as well as manages and differentiates cell lines.
- Set up and optimize cell-based assays in 96- nd 384 well plates and carry out functional genomics or compound screens.
- Follow up on mode of action of compounds or genes by additional imaging and functional assays on cells.
(25%) Molecular Biology Techniques
- Perform various techniques in molecular biology such as: RNA extraction and analysis.
- Protein extraction and analysis.
- PCR and rtPCR.
- RNA-seq library preps.
- Gel Electrophoresis.
- Recombinant DNA techniques.
- Perform various immunofluorescence or FISH protocols on fixed cells.
- Analyze cells using various fluorescent and confocal microscopes for high power imaging.
(15%) Lab Support
- Performs quality control of reagents as needed.
- Trains and assists other lab personnel on research techniques and use of laboratory equipment.
- Attends staff meetings and assist with general problem solving.
- Assists in Hazardous, Biohazardous and waste disposal.
- Assists with maintaining laboratory safety records.
- Maintains laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Minimum 2 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 4 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field or equivalent
- Master's degree in biological sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands-on knowledge of cell culture, high throughput assays, histology and molecular biology techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities and able to prioritize.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work with human cells and complete all appropriate associated training.
- Must be willing to work independently and must have a flexible schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, seeing, sitting, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com