Research Assistant position will focus on research support and management and is expected to have general molecular biology skills.
This position supports all projects in the lab.
(30%) Lab Management
- Laboratory equipment maintenance,
- Compliance Protocols maintenance (IRB, ESCRO and Material Transfer Agreements)
- Supervise all stocking and ordering for the lab
- Maintain plasmid and bacterial stock records
- Supervise student plasmid preps, sequencing and Mycoplasma testing
(50%) Molecular Biology
- Perform various techniques in molecular biology such as:
DNA, RNA, PCR and RT PCR, gel electrophoresis and plasmid prep
- Have an in depth understanding or nucleic acid biology in both the genome and plasmids
(20%) Strategic planning, Mentoring, member of Lab Leadership Team (LLT), liaise with admin departments and lab managers from other labs.
- Minimum 4 years of wet lab experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Managerial and/or supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience in tissue culture.
- Demonstrated experience in wet bench work.
- Demonstrated experience in analysis of molecular biology data.
- Demonstrated experience in immunohistochemistry.
- Demonstrated experience with imaging analysis/quantification.
- Knowledge of histology, microscopy, and molecular biology techniques.
- Proficient in the operation of standard lab equipment and computer hardware/software.
- Proficient in supervising a large group of undergraduates and recent graduates who have varying amounts of laboratory experience.
- Ability to review financial reports and assist with financial planning and tracking of budgets.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field.
- Master's degree in biological sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mix up or cross contamination.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities and able to prioritize.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work with human cells and complete all appropriate associated. training.
- Must be willing to work in a laboratory conducting animal research.
- Must be willing to work independently and must have a flexible schedule to support. research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentially agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will require constant adjusting focus, seeing, communicating, reading, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com