The Chory lab is looking for a Research Assistant I, under supervision, to characterize the effect of a microRNA on Arabidopsis root development. Responsibilities include: molecular biology experiments, microscopy, plant maintenance and manipulation, optimizing protocol for plant growth, data analysis, and troubleshooting.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Conducts molecular cloning and generates transgenic Arabidopsis plants.
- Root imaging.
- Phenotypes plants and evaluates plant robustness.
- Performs RNA extractions and gene expression analysis.
- Performs plant tissue dissection.
- Assists with maintaining lab stocks.
- No professional experience required with relevant degree
- Previous experience in handling Arabidopsis;
- Previous research experience in PCR, DNA manipulations, electrophoresis, and bacteria transformation
- Bachelor's degree in Biological sciences
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment.
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will require constant handling, seeing, sitting, and talking.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com