Job location is at 10240 Science Center Dr, San Diego, CA 92121
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Controller, this position will work independently in performing the duties of the position. The ideal candidate will possess excellent attention to detail, strong organization skills and effective communication skills to coordinate with both internal and external contacts.
This position works closely with Procurement, Logistics and Research Accounting.
- Supervises the Senior Accountant - General Accounting and Accountant III's.
- Assists the Assistant Controller with banking transactions, setups, and resolution of issues.
- Assists the Assistant Controller with managing the daily and routine operations of the General Accounting and Accounts Payable areas.
- Assists in the development and revision of procedures and accounting standards to adapt to changes in legal or policy conditions.
- Communicates with appropriate persons to coordinate activities and programs; resolves issues and conflicts.
- Provides leadership to assigned staff and more broadly, as a member of the Finance Department management team.
- Provides backup to the Senior Accountant, Financial Analyst, Assistant Controller, and Controller.
Financial Information Support:
- Manages internal control documentation.
- Assists with annual audit schedules.
- Prepares annual Workers Compensation audit schedules.
- Prepares annual tax letters for loan forgiveness and scholarships.
- Reconciles retirement contributions between payroll data and vendor quarterly reports.
- Reviews and approves SICSC transactions, financial statements, and federal/state tax returns.
- Reviews and approves Property Tax Exemptions worksheets and forms to be filed.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of professional experience in accounting or finance.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of supervisory experience.
- CPA license
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a national or regional accounting firm
- Experience with Ellucian's Banner finance system.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience in accounting or finance.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong computer proficiency with the use of various software applications including, but not limited to Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Strong organizational skills, with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong problem solving and reconciliation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to analyze transactions and prepare journal entries.
- Demonstrated professionalism and customer service skills to respond in a thoughtful, prompt, and accurate manner. Must have strong email/written composition skills to include knowledge of proper formats, grammar, and spelling.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive matter discreetly. Ability to follow and adhere to policies and procedures concerning confidentiality, security and retention of information and systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must sign an employee confidentiality agreement.
- Must be able to work overtime based on operational needs. Peak times include month-end and year-end close, and audits.
- Must be willing to work at a location away from the main campus and travel to and from campus as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly seeing, analyzing, calculating, reasoning and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com