Nebraska Wesleyan University invites applications and nominations for its next Dean of Graduate and Adult Programs. The Dean will report to the provost and will lead the administration and expansion of NWU’s graduate and adult programs.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is a thriving comprehensive, liberal arts-based institution with 1,800 students. Its academic programs are rooted in an enduring commitment to excellence, a belief in the power of personal attention, teaching and learning, and a strong tradition of shared governance.
Working with leaders across the academic sector of the University, the Dean will play a significant role in envisioning and executing the university’s goal to grow its student body by enhancing its graduate, adult, and online offerings, and building a stronger national reputation. The new Dean’s portfolio will include the following responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and vision for graduate and adult programs, including the enhancement of NWU’s graduate culture.
- Lead efforts to promote NWU’s educational programs to other academic institutions, businesses, and community organizations in order to drive enrollment through sustainable, relationship-oriented partnerships.
- Develop and execute a strategy to meet enrollment and retention goals for adult and graduate programs.
- Oversee/conduct the market research necessary to assess the feasibility of new program offerings, as well as the possible expansion of existing programs, in collaboration with the Program Development Committee.
- Prepare financial models and projections to evaluate return on investment on proposed and existing graduate and adult programs.
- Oversee graduate curriculum, policies, and procedures, in consultation with the Graduate Curriculum and Standards Committee.
- Ensure the quality of all graduate and adult programs by engaging in curriculum development and assessment of student learning, and by evaluating requests for exceptions to academic requirements.
- Conduct formal reviews of graduate and adult programs and support accreditation efforts.
- Oversee graduate and adult part-time faculty hiring in collaboration with department chairs, and program directors.
- Oversee course scheduling, enrollment, and faculty load for graduate and adult programs in collaboration with department chairs, program directors, Assistant Director of Advising, and Registrar.
- Work with the Marketing and Communication Office to ensure quality and accuracy of internal and external communications for graduate and adult programs.
- Support graduate and adult admissions.
- Assist the Dean of Undergraduate Programs in the coordination of the advising program for graduate and adult students.
- Support graduate and adult student success and persistence by
- Supporting New Student Orientation for graduate and adult students
- Interacting with these students in various capacities
- Working with colleagues to integrate support services for these students
- Evaluating their petitions for readmission in partnership with the Academic Standards Committees
- Handling their withdrawals and medical withdrawals from the university.
- Administer new faculty orientation and mentoring in partnership with other members of the Academic Affairs team.
- Collaborate with the Associate Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Programs on faculty development.
- Represent adult and graduate programs at NWU and in the larger community arena
- Foster a culture of transparent and consistent communication with faculty, staff, other academic leaders, and university and community partners.
The new Dean of Graduates Programs will be an accomplished educational professional with a track record of success as a faculty member and academic leader. The position requires that the Dean holds a Ph.D. (or equivalent terminal degree) in an academic area offered by the University, and a record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service commensurate with appointment at the rank of associate professor.
Beyond these foundational requirements, the experiences and attributes that will be used in evaluating applications for this position include the following:
- AN EXPERIENCED ACADEMIC LEADER with time spent as a faculty member, and who has served a minimum of four years as a department chair, program director, or assistant/associate dean role.
- A COLLABORATIVE LEADERSHP STYLE evidenced by a track record of successful work with faculty and administrative colleagues in developing and accomplishing major projects. including the development of community partnerships.
- COMMUNITY PARTNER DEVELOPMENT in different sectors (business, education, non-profit) leading to the establishment of community partnerships that enhance graduate and adult enrollments.
- GRADUATE PROGRAM experience, including both the administration of existing, and the development of new programs.
- ONLINE PROGRAM experience, including a track record of administration, as well as the development and successful implementation of new programs.
- PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT abilities that include high energy, creativity and innovative thinking, as well as a broad knowledge of academic programs and the changing educational marketplace.
- MARKET RESEARCH EXPERIENCE with the development of financial models and projection to assess the viability of new and existing academic programs.
- MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS that include exceptional organization, administration, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Commitment to Diversity:
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the following materials to https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs: (1) a letter of interest that directly addresses the leadership opportunities outlined in the profile above, (2) a CV, 3) a Diversity Statement, and (4) the names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of five references. References will not be contacted without first securing the permission of the candidate. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Additional information about Nebraska Wesleyan University may be found at: https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu
When inquiring or applying for positions at Nebraska Wesleyan University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Nebraska Wesleyan University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Nebraska Wesleyan University are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Nebraska Wesleyan University.