The Department of Liberal Arts at the University of Houston-Clear Lake invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Philosophy beginning Fall, 2022.
- Develop and teach undergraduate and graduate courses including philosophy courses, Introduction to Humanities, and Ideas in Transition using best pedagogical practices. The successful candidate will teach three courses per long semester.
- Establish a research program in philosophy and/or humanities that results in a sustained record of scholarly productivity including peer-reviewed publications, graduate student supervision and mentoring.
- Advise students and supervise Master’s thesis projects.
- Engage in service to the program, college, university, profession, and/or community in a manner that advances program, college and university operational and strategic initiatives.
- Ph.D. in Philosophy or a related field. Qualified applicants at the ABD level of their PhD program may be considered, provided a terminal degree is anticipated by the hire date.
- Expertise in Philosophy of Race, Gender, and/or Class.
- Ability to teach effectively, including in an active learning environment with focus on critical thinking and interdisciplinary education.
- Ability to engage a diverse student body in and out of the classroom.
- Ability to establish a research program that will engage UHCL undergraduate and graduate students, including supervision of graduate students.
- Ability to collaborate with faculty in Humanities and related disciplines.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Postdoctoral experience and a demonstrated record of teaching excellence.
Prior experience supervising graduate students.
Evidence of the potential to develop publishable research.
Demonstrated competence engaging and supporting diverse student populations
Applications are only accepted online through the UHCL Job Opportunities website. To apply, please complete the online faculty application, and attach a cover letter, vita, and statements of teaching and research interests. Proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. must be provided as condition of employment. A background check and the successful pass of a criminal history record check is required prior to on-campus interviews. Review of applications will begin March 21, 2022 and the position will remain open until filled. Only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted. UHCL reserves the right to extend the search or not fill the position.
University of Houston-Clear Lake is proud to be recognized by the U.S. Department of the Interior as a member of the Minority Serving Institutions Program and is an HSI: Hispanic Serving Institution as well as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer supporting workplace diversity.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Houston - Clear Lake and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com