Okanagan College transforms lives and communities. We are one of Canada's leading colleges. We create outstanding educational experiences for our learners, both students and employees. We work and learn in a welcoming and caring culture. We are a catalyst for change through collaboration with our learners and partners. We serve, lead and anticipate the social, economic and environmental needs of communities.
Associate Vice President, College Relations
Office of the President
Reporting to the President, the Associate Vice President, College Relations (AVPCR) is a trusted advisor and member of the executive team, engaging in executive-level decisions and leadership regarding the direction, development and management of Okanagan College.
The AVPCR is the primary individual responsible for the College’s activities related to the positive stewardship of various internal and external relationships held by the College. This includes leadership in College reputation, marketing and communications, alumni relations, and government relations. The AVPCR works directly and proactively with the President, the Board, funding agencies, politicians, government agencies and affiliated stakeholders to positively profile Okanagan College. The AVPCR serves as the key contact point for the Ministry of Advance Education Skills and Training Communications and Public Engagement department.
The AVPCR is responsible for planning and developing operating and capital budgets, unit plans, risk registers and mitigation plans, policies and procedures within their areas of responsibility.
Functions and Duties:
Leadership & Administration:
- Contributes to the strategic analysis, development and decisions pertaining to matters of pan-institutional importance and relevance.
- Develops the capacity of the department through appropriate hiring, supervision, engagement, training, performance evaluation and staff development. Leads, guides, and motivates staff in maintaining performance standards and customer satisfaction levels
- Develops and oversees implementation of Okanagan College’s government, community, and media relations policies, consistent with the College’s strategic directions
- Oversees and is responsible for the departments’ budgets, expenditures and allocations
External Reputation & Marketing:
- Oversees the implementation of a regional, provincial, national, and international marketing, communication, and engagement strategies, programs, and activities to promote Okanagan College
- Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance the College’s reputation throughout the region
- Represents Okanagan College externally when appropriate maintaining high visibility with potential influencers
- Establishes marketing and communications guidelines to ensure high quality materials, effective presentations, and consistent messaging; assists departments to adhere to established standards in all marketing efforts including advertising and publications
- Anticipates the need for, and leads the development of, marketing and communication strategies to support student recruitment, increased market/stakeholder awareness and positive public image
External Partnership & Stewardship:
- Works with College Leadership to implement a coordinated community engagement framework that mobilizes respectful and reciprocal relationships with partners throughout the region
- Works with College Leadership to implement an external relationships coordination strategy to ensure that external College relationships are connected pan-institutionally so that a coordinated approach can be applied to stewardship efforts with external stakeholders
- Builds partnerships and collaborative working relationships with a wide variety of external stakeholders
- Works with College Executive Team to implement the College’s overall external communication strategy
- Supports College Leadership in the development of division or unit level communication strategies in alignment with the College’s overall communication strategy
- Identifies high-profile issues pertinent to the College and recommends issues management communication strategies to Executive Leadership
- Oversees and manages communication needs related to complex or highly sensitive scenarios
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media
- Oversees and is responsible for the College’s digital presence
- Works with College Executive Team to implement the College’s overall internal communication strategy
- Assists departments in designing department or unit level communication strategies consistent with the overall College strategy
- Responsible for the delivery of pan-institutional communications in collaboration with the appropriate department or unit leader
- Ensures that internal communication activities are relevant and proactive
- Liaises with the Okanagan College Alumni Association, keeping abreast of trends that affect alumni relations so the College as well as the Association are well positioned to take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Alumni Relations department in the creation, implementation and management of alumni programs that broaden the engagement of alumni.
- Maintains effective relationships with elected and appointed municipal, provincial and federal government representatives.
- Serves as a key contact point for the province’s Government Communications and Public Engagement department
- Supports the Office of the President in implementing Government Relations strategies
- In collaboration with the presenting unit or department, has high level oversight and coordination of pan-institutional events
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to anticipate issue development and construct appropriate pre-emptive action and issue-management strategies
- Ability to build consensus, make decisions and implement solutions independently and appropriately
- Ability to implement directives, provide operational oversight and manage staff
- Knowledge of regional, provincial and national issues and an ability to assess or forecast how those may impact Okanagan College’s activities
- Demonstrate an effective and positive management style
- Ability to work effectively with elected and appointed Boards
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Demonstrated effective communication skills at an advanced level
- Commitment to reconciliation and equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice (EDISJ)
Preferred and Required Qualifications
Education and Experience:
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree preferred. A minimum of ten years senior management experience in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related discipline. Experience in a post-secondary environment an asset.
To apply for this position, please go to the following website: https://www.employmentopportunities.okanagan.bc.ca and complete an on-line application.
Exempt - Continuing Full-time
Appointment Start Date:
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate:
Range $129,536 to $172,715. Typical Hiring Range $155,444 to $172,715.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For more detailed information on the opportunity please click here to view the position profile.
Okanagan College is committed to increasing the equitable and inclusive participation of marginalized people in all aspects of college life. We welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, Black People, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, people with disabilities and people with diverse gender identities or expressions. People with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, AccessibilityHR@okanagan.bc.ca
Posting Opening Date:
Posting Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
When inquiring or applying for positions at within Okanagan College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at Okanagan College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Okanagan College are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at Okanagan College.
Open Until Filled