Whittier College is an independent, four-year Liberal Arts College distinguished by its small size (1600 undergraduates) and a nationally-recognized liberal arts program.Whittier College has a history of strong and innovative interdisciplinary programs and a diverse student body.The College is ideally situated in the scenic hills eighteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
Director of Conference Services
The Conference Services Office at Whittier College seeks a Director of Conference Services. The Director is responsible for recruiting and securing sustainable business relationships with companies and organizations to promote, coordinate, and implement summer conferences and events, short-term and long-term rentals, and collaborate with College constituents to use College Facilities and Services. The Director will identify new market segments to pursue and acquire new customers seeking to rent campus locations and facilities to generate and grow revenue. Plan, develop and implement a comprehensive marketing plan to attract new clientele to Whittier College. Recruit, train, and supervise student staff. Coordinates with all clientele and campus constituents to arrange, update and modify the scheduling database of all rentals. Develop, implement, and revise all policies and procedures related to conference services. Generate contract and insurance requirements, and monitor compliance with policies for conferences and events. Ensures that all events and camps comply with all government regulations and college policies and procedures. Review and assess the health and safety and related risk issues and evaluates the safety and maintenance needs of all facilities used for conference services and events. The Director will also resolve problems effectively in a timely manner with event organizers. Foster and maintain contacts with a comprehensive list of vendors to ensure consistent delivery of needed goods and services for conference and event programs. Review, evaluate, recommend and administer any proposed rate changes to reflect the market value of available rentals of College spaces. This is a revenue generating position with profit and loss (P&L) and budgeting responsibility.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Full Time/Part Time status: Full Time
Salary Range: $$65,000-$85,000; Salary will commensurate with experience, skills, and knowledge.
Reports to: Vice President, Innovation and New Ventures
Location/Department: Whittier College (Main Campus)/ Conference Services
- Provide effective leadership in developing operational goals and metrics for effective measurement, monitoring, and accountability of accomplishments of Conference services.
- Provides overall leadership and direction by providing a centralized department that manages the scheduling and use of all on-campus and off-campus College facilities and venues, in accordance with established policies and procedures, including reservation approvals, events planning and scheduling, managing logistics and support for a broad array of events.
- Develop profit and loss (P&L) financial projections, financial statements, and a plan of action to generate and grow revenue and profits annually. Develop budget and allocate funds within budget limits to accomplish objectives. Monitor budget against variances to meet planned budget target objectives assure that the Conference services organization is profitable.
- Develop and manage operational plans, financial resources and business-related functions associated with public programs, summer conference spaces and performance venues
- Works to develop opportunities for expanding conferences and events programming with new customers and clients of the College. Develops events and cost proposals for customers and clients. Negotiates and manages contracts with customers and clients in accordance with applicable College policies and procedures.
- Cultivates relationships that result in high levels of customer and client satisfaction and repeat engagements. Works with expediency, tact, and professionalism, using excellent judgement in working to resolve issues and concerns within assigned areas of responsibility. Prepare strategies to provide to customers and clients with experiences that will meet or exceed their objectives and expectations.
- Market and promote facilities for use by external groups for conferences, camps, meetings etc. Develop marketing plans for Scheduling, Events, and Conferences, including a wide variety of College facilities and venues as well as summer residential conferences. Promotes and markets personalized online registration pages for conferences and events customers and clients.
- Represents the College as appropriate in its relationships with community, government and professional agencies and similar groups regarding facility use
- Interface with faculty and staff to explore facilities use for future meetings and conferences
- Develop, recommend, and coordinate the implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Communicate frequently with Insurance Companies regarding client's liability requirements. Provide support to other campus departments regarding rental liability issues. Prepares written procedures and monitors work processes to assure compliance.
- Manage employee by establishing annual performance goals, allocating resources, assessing annual performance determining individual merit incentive or promotional increase
- Serve as the contract administrator for scheduling and conference software, including the Events Management System (EMS) software systems. This includes contract administration of the software services providers, assignments of user access and permissions, training of new users, ensuring College spaces, venues, and resources are updated regularly in these databases, and assuring that software is updated in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with Housing, Facilities/Physical Plant, Information Technology, Catering Services, Dining Services, and other operational departments to assess and continuously improve systems, processes, and technology to maximize the efficiency of events planning and production, as well as maintains positive business relationships with vendors and contractors.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an "official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities." A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to her or him to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
- Periodically evaluates facilities rates versus corresponding costs and makes associated recommendations for rate adjustments
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Non-essential Functions of the Job:
- None identified at this time.
Preferred and Required Qualifications
Position Specifications and Requirements:
Previous Experience: 5 to 7 years preferably in a Higher Education Conference Services, Hospitality Industry Services, and Event Planning Services
- The ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff visitors, vendors, contractors, and other University constituents with strong commitments to professionalism, excellence in customer service, and to a "Student's First" philosophy and approach to work required.
- High levels of personal and professional integrity required.
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills, the ability to function well with deadlines and to manage multiple priorities with competing timelines required.
- The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to work well under limited time constraints is required.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities to utilize systems such as the Events Management System (EMS) and IRIS Conference System, as well as to serve as the contract administrator assigning user access and permissions for these systems, and to train others to utilize these software systems required.
Knowledge and Education: Master degree preferred
- Knowledge and skills gained from progressively responsible positions and the ability to achieve success in maximizing effectiveness and efficiencies in managing fiscal and human resources, along with effective problem solving, and developing innovative improvements in business processes and services preferred.
- Proven skills in working well and getting along well with and getting along well with others in previous employment experiences are all preferred.
- Skills in negotiating and administering contracts, as well as knowledge and skills in developing performance metrics for Scheduling, Events, and Conferences operations preferred.
- Knowledge and abilities to develop checklists, contractor performance evaluations, and/or other means of ensuring contractor compliance with terms and conditions of agreements preferred.
- Knowledge, skills, and proficiency using the Banner system or similar system software preferred.
- Knowledge, skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and other Microsoft Office suite software preferred.
- Knowledge and skills in work using the eVA Procurement system or similar procurement system software preferred.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The position is based in Whittier, California. To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com or mail to Whittier College, Attn: Human Resources Manager, 13406 E Philadelphia Street Whittier, CA 90608. AA/EOE.
Whittier College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religion creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Whittier College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency