Assistant Director-Special Events and Programs
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$75,000+ (commensurate with education and experience)
Hourly Rate (Part-Time)
$36.06 per hour
Provides assistance to achieve the organizations administrative, academic, student support and/or community relations goals.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Able to identify problem areas which may arise when planning large-scale events and utilize research and experience to develop solutions. Must be proficient in assessing and analyzing district guidelines to effectively make recommendations for the best course of action when designing outreach programs.
• Must have strong interpersonal, organizational, time management and problem-solving skills as well as the ability to prioritize, plan and lead projects as assigned. Able to identify problems and determine the best solution, working to resolve the issue(s).
• Ability to adapt to changes in work environment, work priorities, organizational and/or customer needs. Must be able to plan, organize and schedule staff and tasks effectively to achieve objectives. Able to adhere to institutional and/or the organization’s policies and procedures.
• Able to develop strong working relationships with team members, key stakeholders, internal and external constituents from diverse backgrounds to meet business needs. Able to use multiple methods to communicate information and choose method that is appropriate to the audience. Must be able to maintain confidentiality and have high ethical standards.
• Must be familiar with Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), WebEx, and other media related software.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree plus three (3) years of related work experience.
• Event planning experience required.
• Current and valid Texas driver’s license required for offsite travel.
• Official transcripts are required.
• Master’s Degree plus two (2) years of related experience. Experience in higher education preferred.
• Background in Urban Education, Multi-Culturalism, Social Justice or related fields, experience preferred.
• Large-scale conference and event experience preferred.
• Diversity, Equity and Inclusion content experience preferred.
*** Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check. ***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for providing guidance and leadership in planning the day‐to‐day activities of assigned organization. Collaborates with stakeholders to implement/improve processes and procedures to meet the mission and goals of the institution or organization. Additional work will vary according to Social Responsibility and Inclusion initiatives.
• Responsible for the oversight and execution of highly visible, strategic internal/external outreach events and educational programs targeted at audiences including the campus community (faculty, staff, and students); prospective students and their families; alumni, donors, friends, and volunteers; local business and community leaders.
• Collaborates effectively with stakeholders on development of events, performs detailed research, and provides status reports. Identify problem areas which may arise when planning large-scale events and utilizes research and experience to develop solutions. Provides guidance and support to employees to improve the value of the organization and create a positive work environment.
• Acts as a community liaison for events, develops, and executes presentations and conducts outreach activities to a variety of organizations, both public and private. Produce events from beginning to end including management of event budget, logistics and pre/post event communication. Prepares monthly heritage/multicultural event pieces.
• Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year. Utilizes excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills to interact effectively with diverse multicultural individuals within the Dallas College community network.
• Responsible for drafting event reports, summaries, and highlights, including program, event, and initiate data for publication.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Provides excellent customer service.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com