Senior Director of Student Professional Development
University of San Diego
Posting #: 3941
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Administrator, School of Business
Department Description: The University of San Diego School of Business embraces a stewardship approach to business education. Stewardship requires businesses to protect and care for society in pursuit of a greater good. The USD School of Business community of faculty, staff, students and graduates, embrace stewardship by applying values-driven, free-enterprise skills to improve businesses, industries, and the lives of people in our community and around the world. We provide academically rigorous, relevant and values-based education and research. Degree programs in the School of Business are AACSB accredited, with the undergraduate and MBA programs being highly ranked both domestically and internationally. www.sandiego.edu/business/about/
Looking forward, the Knauss Center for Business Education will be the physical home for the USD School of Business, and more important, the mortar that binds us together is our unique competitive advantage as we deliver a rich, holistic student experience, crafted with a higher purpose in mind, for all the greater good. See our progress: https://horizon.sandiego.edu/knauss-center
USD School of Business Diversity Statement
The University of San Diego School of Business strives to create a welcoming environment that promotes diversity, equity, inclusiveness (DEI) and ethics, commensurate with our Catholic mission. We value students, faculty and staff from different backgrounds, demographics, experiences, perspectives and faiths. For more information on how DEI is tied to our efforts in creating academic excellence, our development as civic and campus citizens, and the realization of compassionate service, you may review our webpage: https://www.sandiego.edu/business/about/diversity-statement.php
University Description: The University of San Diego School of Business embraces a stewardship approach to business education. Stewardship requires businesses to protect and care for society in pursuit of a greater good. The USD School of Business community of faculty, staff, students, and graduates, embrace stewardship by applying values-driven, free-enterprise skills to improve businesses, industries, and the lives of people in our community and around the world.
Looking forward, the Knauss Center for Business Education will be the physical home for the USD School of Business, and more important, the mortar that binds us together is our unique competitive advantage as we deliver a rich, holistic student experience, crafted with a higher purpose in mind, for all the greater good. See our progress: https://horizon.sandiego.edu/knauss-center.
Detailed Description: The Senior Director of Student Professional Development is responsible for overseeing the integration of co/extracurricular student activities with academic programs in support of the School of Business' unique, holistic student experience. The Senior Director will be responsible for overseeing employer development and the creation of relationships with local and national recruiters as well as collaborating closely with the School's various Centers of Distinction in order to procure opportunities that expand and further enhance the professional development of business students. Through the Senior Director's department, students in the School of Business students will be offered significant opportunities to build their respective career networks and enhance long-term employment. Internships, mentorships, apprenticeships are particularly valued, as is the development of students' interpersonal communications skills through various support programs. The Senior Director will provide leadership and oversight of a team of Student Professional Development Managers who will interact daily with students. The Senior Director will collaborate extensively with internal and external constituents to ensure seamless, expansive and high-quality opportunities for development are provided to students. This position is required to work some evenings and weekends to accommodate the schedules of various student classes and events.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Ensure Success of Student Professional Development Activities
• Provide leadership and oversight of Student Professional Development Managers and student professional development activities
• Coordinate professional development opportunities and activities implemented by the Student Professional Development Managers and the Graduate Career Manager to ensure collaboration and cohesive operations
• Assist Student Professional Development Managers and the Graduate Career Manager in offering career panels/speakers and identifying and encouraging participation in case competitions and professional conferences
• Foster an environment of collaboration amongst program suites and between faculty, Centers of Distinction and employers to ensure holistic student experience and success
• Actively disseminate professional development opportunities and activities within all program suites to the Student Professional Development Managers to implement
• Oversee the design, implementation and evolution of the passport program and career and professional development programming for all School of Business students.
• Hire, train, coach and evaluate all Student Professional Development Managers
• Provide guidance on best practices for each unique program suite served by the Managers
• Oversee and provide leadership for orientation and graduation activities that the Student Professional Development Managers will plan and implement.
• Extensive research and networking to understand the needs of corporate contacts, sourcing new job and internship listings.
• Develop a cadre of local and national recruiters for business programs and establish relationships with regional recruiters to actively promote USD business students and build a residual job opportunity funnel.
• Educate and encourage employers to connect with business students through Handshake and other platforms.
• Train Student Professional Development Managers to establish relationships with employers.
• Work closely with Centers of Distinction to identify opportunities for student internships, co/extracurricular experiences, mentorships and employment opportunities.
• Represent USD on the Hire San Diego team, a collaboration of regional schools that collaborate to host a job fair for graduate students in San Diego.
• Main point of contact for industry recruiters.
• Main liaison between the School of Business and the Career Development Office.
• Assist the Assistant Dean for Business Student Affairs by providing and verifying data for the appropriate rankings for the School of Business programs
• Collaborate with the Director of Academic Advising to provide seamless services that promote holistic student success
• Collaborate with the Assistant Dean for Marketing and Recruitment to determine best practices for the transition from student recruitment to student enrollment, including but not limited to graduate student orientation events
• Collaborate with the central Career Development to identify opportunities for them to effectively engage with assigned graduate students
• Ensure all direct reports are trained and prepared to assist students with wellness concerns that are disclosed to them, or are shared with them by another student success center team member.
• Assist students with problem identification, goal setting, and strategy development when they experience challenges negatively impacting academic, social, and personal areas including students who are academically disqualified or identified by faculty, administrators, staff, and advisors.
• Assist Student Professional Development Managers navigate issues involving students with problem identification, goal setting, and strategy development when they experience challenges negatively impacting academic, social, and personal areas including students who are academically disqualified or identified by faculty, administrators, staff, and advisors.
• Assist with special projects as needed
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
7 years of experience in career services, employer relations, student services or related field
Master's degree from an accredited college of university
7+ years of experience in career services, employer relations, student services or related field
Experience in higher education
Performance Expectations - Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of and experience with:
Proven experience managing a complex, highly visible set of career services for professional students and alumni, preferably at a business school or similar professional graduate school.
High-energy, sales orientation & willingness to cold call employers to source job opportunities.
Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety of business professions, job search methods, as well as local, national, and international employment trends.
Experience creating programs, events, outreach and communication mechanisms involving employment skills, and career planning and development.
Significant knowledge of and experience using on-line resources, spreadsheets, and presentation software.
Interaction with the professional business community.
Proven track record of successful project management, implementation and marketing.
Resourceful, critical thinking abilities and strong follow through.
A deep commitment to customer service and the ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and work successfully in a fast-paced environment with time constraints.
Strong verbal, writing, and presentation skills.
Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work both independently and within a team.
Ability to handle confidential information with tact and good judgment.
Project or event management.
Computers and software (including MS Word, Access, Internet, Web, etc.).
Modern office practices, systems and procedures.
Demonstrated performance in:
Working with diverse individuals and those from different cultures and countries
Human relations and interpersonal communications
Exercising self-initiative and creativity.
Functioning with the highest degree of autonomy
Operation of personal computer equipment and web management
Time management and organization of multi-tasking work requirements
Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing
Working with diverse personalities.
Working independently using good judgment, self-initiative and creativity
Working with students with diverse interests from varying backgrounds
Being flexible and versatile in coping with evolving and work situations
Being able to handle the stress of last-minute deadlines and changes
Independently assuming responsibility and effectively resolving problems by exercising independent judgment.
Interacting with professionals in the business community.
Interacting with faculty, academic administrators and students.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow ourCovid-19vaccinerequirement process.https://www.sandiego.edu/onward/
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Posting Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer.USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions: https://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/494720/senior-director-of-student-professional-development
Click 'Apply Now' to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload aresumeto your application profile for the hiring managers' review. You are also strongly recommended to upload acover letterto your application profile for the hiring managers' review.If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us email@example.com
Additional Details: Hours:37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of San Diego and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency