Mathematics Education Faculty
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Open Date: Oct 20, 2021
Deadline: Dec 06, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Mathematics Education Faculty Position Description
University of Notre Dame Center for STEM Education
The Notre Dame Center for STEM Education (The Center) is pleased to announce a new Assistant/Associate faculty position in mathematics education with the intended start date of July 1, 2022. The Center is housed within the Institute for Educational Initiatives at the University of Notre Dame. The Center lives at the intersection of research informing practice and the Center's programs creating new knowledge and resources for the field. In particular, the Center's motto - Making STEM Education a Force for Good - highlights the Center's commitment to impactful work that particularly addresses the needs of marginalized and vulnerable populations. Furthermore, the Center works across sectors, with a particular expertise and focus on Catholic schools. The position includes significant teaching, research, and service to the Institute, University, and field.
Position Description and Qualifications
Teaching/Teacher Formation (35%)
Teaching responsibilities will generally include the equivalent of three classes per year (including summer courses, academic courses or distance courses), unless external grant funding offsets a course buy-out with support from the Center director. Course selection will be based on the background and expertise of the candidate and may include:
1. Leading the mathematics teacher professional development throughout the Summer Institute and the academic year for the Trustey Family STEM Teaching Fellows professional development program.
2. Teaching the mathematics assessment course for the ACE M.Ed. program during the summer session and academic year distance courses.
3. Teaching one undergraduate course each academic year in the Education, Schooling, and Society supplemental major that complements the programmatic or research work of the Center.
4. Supervising one ACE Teaching Fellows community of teachers in their ACE Placement for the University Supervision course.
Research responsibilities will focus on better understanding and improving aspects of mathematics education and related fields. In particular, the preferred candidate's research program will both feed into the programmatic work of the Center, including the Trustey Fellows and/or the AP TIP programs, and be nourished by these programs as sources of longitudinal data. Quantitative, qualitative, and mixed-methods are equally welcomed. Research responsibilities include:
1. Developing an on-going research program to investigate aspects of mathematics and/or STEM education, broadly. Preferred areas of focus include, but are not limited to:
a. Cognition and instruction in mathematics classrooms
b. Equity, access, and identity in mathematics classrooms
c. Mathematics for social justice
d. The intersection of mathematics education and language learners
e. The use of technology in the mathematics classroom
f. Elementary or secondary mathematics teacher education
g. Mathematics education across sectors, particularly Catholic schools
h. STEM teacher professional development
2. Pursuing research grants relative to your research program and/or the foci of the Center.
3. Advancing research and evaluation related to the Center's programs
4. Contributing to the scholarly and intellectual life of the Institute more broadly.
Broader Service (30%)
As part of the Center, service occurs in the development of the Center's programs, the broader impacts of the Center, Institute and University engagement, and contributions to the field. Broader service expectations include:
1. Contributing as a member of the Center's core team through planning, visioning, and participation in additional Center efforts, as appropriate.
2. Participating in the interview and selection process for candidates for the ACE M.Ed. and Trustey Family STEM Teaching Fellows program.
3. Consulting and collaborating with units within the Institute and University as a resource for mathematics education.
4. Partnering with University departments and colleges, particularly the Colleges of Science and Engineering in order to help address needs in undergraduate education and broader impacts in external grants.
5. Contributing to relevant professional organizations and publications.
Competitive applicants will have some disciplinary background in mathematics, K-12 teaching experience, and must have an earned advanced degree (preference given to terminal degrees) or strong prospect of an advanced degree by July 1, 2022. Special consideration will be given to candidates with experience in math teacher formation/education.
Applicants should submit:
1. a cover letter indicating how the candidate's expertise and professional goals align with the mission of the University of Notre Dame and the Notre Dame Center for STEM Education;
2. a curriculum vitae;
3. a research statement indicating expertise and areas of research interest (no more than 2 pages single spaced);
4. a philosophy of teaching and the professional formation of teachers (no more than 1 page single spaced);
5. a writing sample (journal article or chapter—no full dissertations);
6. A list of three references (name, institutional affiliation, position, and contact information only) that could optimally speak to the applicant's proficiency in research, teaching, and ability to work collaboratively. (Letters may be requested at a later time).
Information on the Notre Dame Center for STEM Education can be found at http://stemeducation.nd.edu. Applications will be reviewed beginning November 22, 2021 until the position is filled. The most strongly considered candidates will submit application materials by December 6, 2021.
Questions about this position can be directed to Dr. Matt Kloser at firstname.lastname@example.org . All application materials, including recommendations submitted directly from recommenders, should be submitted electronically via Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/97392
The University of Notre Dame, an international Catholic research university, is an equal opportunity employer.
Competitive applicants will have some disciplinary background in mathematics, K-12 teaching experience, and must have an earned advanced degree (preference given to terminal degrees) or strong prospect of an advanced degree by July 1, 2022. Special consideration will be given to candidates with experience in math teacher formation/education
To apply, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/97392
This appointment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Applicants will be asked to identify all felony convictions and/or pending felony charges. Felony convictions do not automatically bar an individual from employment. Each case will be examined separately to determine the appropriateness of employment in the particular position. Failure to be forthcoming or dishonesty with respect to felony disclosures can result in the disqualification of a candidate. The full procedure can be viewed at https://facultyhandbook.nd.edu/?id=link-73597.
Equal Opportunity Employment Statement
The University of Notre Dame seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality faculty, staff and administration. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from female and minority candidates and those candidates attracted to a university with a Catholic identity. Moreover, Notre Dame prohibits discrimination against veterans or disabled qualified individuals, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors to employ and advance veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a).
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the University of Notre Dame and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency