General Statement of Duties:
D’Youville seeks an enthusiastic, strategic and professionally experienced Director of Alumni Engagement. The Director will work in partnership with the Advancement team and alumni board, utilizing the Advancement strategic plan to develop resources, appropriate policies and procedures, and to support the creation of effective and visionary initiatives in support of our alumni engagement goals. The successful candidate must have the ability to drive and coordinate the core strategy across our alumni network and the College and ensure a consistent message.
The Director works closely with the Vice Presidents, Academic Deans, program directors, faculty, and staff to pair engagement and fundraising opportunities with new and existing institutional initiatives and strategic objectives.
- Oversee all alumni engagement efforts; students, faculty, staff and volunteer management, event strategy and planning, alumni communications, and budgeting
- Provide the framework for, and oversight to, goal setting and benchmarking, recognition of volunteers and donors, events, volunteer recruitment, training and support.
- Participate in event-related meetings, including debriefings.
- Maintain close effective working relationships with various offices within the college (e.g., career services, admissions, athletics, academic programs) and with all offices related to Advancement to effectively leverage and harness the combined strengths and reach of these programs.
- Create a communication strategy for volunteers that includes regular insider updates and impact reports to volunteers and staff. Ensure all volunteers are stewarded and thanked appropriately for their level of service in a way that is consistent across the Advancement program. Conduct end-of-year program evaluations, including volunteer surveys, to ensure structure aligns with strategic priorities of the department.
- Affinity Programming: Based on the Institutional Advancement strategic plan, develop a strategy for affinity programming and career programming in support of D’Youville alumni. Ensure program and activity goals are met. Develop a protocol for creation of new affinity groups, and guidelines for effective partnership. Based on known affinity groups, develop a plan for engaging groups in signature events, such as homecoming, and in regional programming as appropriate.
- Work in partnerships with communications to develop and oversee the social media and web strategy for alumni engagement and ensure that it is focused on meaningful relationship building. Create an e-News communication strategy, in partnership with the advancement communication manager, for parents, donors and alumni that promotes D’Youville activities, along with other key messages from Advancement and the College.
- Develop a plan for print production to supplement virtual materials to ensure a comprehensive coverage of the community, particularly those that do not have e-mail. Monitor and evaluate communications, including coding and tracking of communication touches and their impact on engagement. Provide monthly reports for staff and key volunteers.
- Bachelor’s Degree required and 3-5 years progressive experience, preferably in higher education
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational and decision-making skills with follow-up abilities are essential along with a results-oriented approach to work.
- Demonstrate the proven ability to develop good working relationships up, down and across the organization, and easily communicate with a broad range of audiences.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to effectively manage other staff in a growing environment.
- Computer literacy with working knowledge of Microsoft office, Canva, Raisers Edge.
- Self-starter with an ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- The candidate should be energetic, enthusiastic, and dedicated with proven experience managing volunteers, strong leadership skills, and the ability to work with others to create effective engagement programs across many platforms.
- Great tact and skilled diplomacy, with a rigorous regard for confidentiality, to ensure the integrity of the program.
- An ability to manage multiple projects; skills to set priorities and follow through on projects.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends, and to travel.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong customer service orientation.
- Knowledge of modern data management practices and techniques including data-based computerized information systems, data modeling, and models of analysis that lead to effective decision making on behalf of the program.
- An appreciation for and understanding of the value of the health care professions and Catholic traditions, along with the ability to effectively communicate the value, message, and brand of D’Youville.
About the Institution:
D’Youville is a highly regarded private college and research institution with a rich history located on the vibrant West Side of Buffalo adjacent to a growing downtown with year-round cultural events and outdoor recreation. While preparing students for the 21st-century, D’Youville excels at helping students reach their career goals as change agents, doing well for themselves and their communities by doing good. Under the leadership of President Lorrie Clemo, the university is moving boldly forward through a dynamic and integrated planning process to strengthen the institution and positively impact the student experience and surrounding community.
Founded in 1908, the Grey Nuns named the college after the Patron Saint Marguerite D’Youville and committed to making it a compassionate place of learning for those from underrepresented populations. That commitment and tradition continue today. D’Youville was the first college in Western New York to offer baccalaureate degree programs for women. With a long Catholic history, D’Youville welcomes students of every culture, background, and faith and is a place where different faith traditions can be openly shared and respected. Coeducational since 1971, D’Youville strives to expand opportunities for diverse learners, including adults, first-generation, low-income, and other students historically underrepresented in higher education.
Today, D’Youville features an urban, growing campus community of 3,000 students and offers more than 50 majors in undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral studies including advanced certificates and accelerated learning programs. Featuring degrees in healthcare, business, and the liberal arts, D’Youville encourages students to balance their learning with activities that integrate community service with coursework. D’Youville’s proud graduates have the academic strengths necessary for careers that make a difference and the skills to be leaders for the world. To learn more about D’Youville, please visit http://www.dyc.edu/.
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at D'Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com