Lecturer of Mechanical Engineering—Search 67887
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing
The Department of Mechanical Engineering in the College of Engineering and Computing invites applications and nominations for the position of non-tenure track Lecturer of Mechanical Engineering with emphasis in Engineering Design and Analysis.
Founded in 1906, Georgia Southern University is a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution with a focus on public-impact research, serving about 27,000 students on three beautiful campuses in Statesboro, Savannah, and Hinesville, and via a growing online program. Through our degree offerings at the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern offers a distinctive combination of community collaboration, world-class scholarship, innovative teaching, and hands-on learning opportunities.
To equitably serve a fast growing and highly diverse student body and to fulfill the University's commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we actively seek candidates with a demonstrated commitment to Inclusive Excellence. Candidates whose work furthers the institution's goals and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Within this setting, the Department of Mechanical Engineering offers undergraduate courses in support of nearly 1,000 students in mechanical engineering (energy science, materials science and processing, mechatronics, design and analysis), engineering science, and graduate courses leading to an MSME. Both the curricular and the research activities of the faculty have a strong applied emphasis, bridging theory with practice, extending the learning environment beyond the classroom, and offering a student-centered environment enhanced by technology and transcultural experiences within private and public partnerships. The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) program is to accomplish the following.
1. Produce graduates who will assume professional "engineering-related" positions that utilize their applied technical skills and problem-solving abilities.
2. Produce graduates that have the technical, analytical, interpersonal, professional and communication skills needed to advance in their careers.
3. Produce graduates who will remain professionally current and engage in the pursuit of life-long learning.
The academic curriculum is validated by the program's Professional Advisory Committee and externally accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET; Students are provided opportunities to engage in hands-on research activities, engineering projects, and professional society experiences, as well as the ability to pursue professional licensure. The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the mission of the department by (1) developing and teaching undergraduate and graduate-level lecture and laboratory courses, (2) establishing a funded research program that involves university colleagues, graduate and undergraduate students, and (3) engaging in professional service that technically and economically enriches our various communities and societies.
Position Description. Reporting to the Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, the Lecturer of Mechanical Engineering will be required to (1) develop and teach undergraduate and graduate lectures and labs; (2) supervise student projects; (3) assist in academic and professional mentoring of students; (4) participate in program assessment and execution of a continuous improvement plan; and (5) participate in academic and professional service activities. Research and scholarship are highly encouraged to remain current and engaged as a teacher-scholar. The position is a 10-month, non-tenure track position with the potential to be promoted to senior lecturer, and the salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned terminal degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field by August 1, 2022
• B.S. (or equivalent) degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline
• Effective communications skills (verbal and written)
• The potential to develop and teach lectures and laboratories at the undergraduate and graduate levels
• Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives
• Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring, and curriculum design and development
• The potential to develop and teach undergraduate and graduate courses such as: CAD, Machine Design, Mechanism Design (Kinematics), Product Design Theory, Vibrations and Preventative Maintenance, Intro to FEA, Mechanical Engineering Case Studies and/or Senior Capstone.
• The potential to develop and teach Engineering Graphics and Solid Modeling lectures and laboratories.
• An ability to develop and teach undergraduate general engineering science lectures and laboratories such as: Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Computational and Numerical Methods, and/or Energy Science).
• Relevant professional experience.
• An ability to proficiently use and provide instruction using software such as MATLAB, LabVIEW, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and/or ANSYS.
• AutoCAD and/or SolidWorks certification is desirable.
• Experience with ABET accreditation and/or continuous improvement activities
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
• All work for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
• Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students, participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
• Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.
Screening of applications begins November 24, 2021 and continues until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is August 01, 2022. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; brief teaching and research statements (2 page max); and the name, position, association with the applicant, address, telephone number, and email address of at least five (5) professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Only complete applications submitted electronically as a single pdf will be considered. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Dr. Anoop Desai, Search Chair, Search #67887
Georgia Southern University
Electronic mail: email@example.com
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cec.georgiasouthern.edu/. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources at 912-478-6947.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
When inquiring or applying for this and other job openings at Georgia Southern University, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Georgia Southern University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com