Position Description Summary/Purpose:
This position is accountable for leading the Finance/Accounting team in its management of the financial policies and controls at Goodwin University, Inc. & Subsidiaries.
Essential Job Functions/Primary Responsibilities:
(The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Responsible for overseeing the Accounts Payable team, via direct supervision of that team’s supervisor (includes ensuring enforcement of all University expense policies and proper allocation of all expenses), as well as the Accounting Supervisor and the associated team’s workload.
- Responsible for initiating all drawdowns of Student Loans, Pell Grants, Federal Work Study, SEOG, and other misc Dept of Education grant/loan funds from the G5 website in close coordination with the Financial Aid and Grant departments.
- Partially responsible for initiating internal bank account transfers as business needs dictate, including ensuring proper level of funds needed at various business units.
- Conducts and oversees all accounting and financial reporting for the Hartford Consortium for Higher Education, an affiliated but separate non-profit organization.
- Prepares weekly cash report for senior management.
- Prepares monthly cash flow and functional expense statement, including management commentary to identify key trends.
- Assists with monitoring University-wide American Express spending and the associated accounting.
- Thoroughly reviews and approves all bank reconciliations (non-Magnet School).
- Ensures all intercompany eliminations are properly recorded.
- Conducts detailed tie out of trial balances to draft financial statements.
- Responsible for the distribution of consolidated monthly financial statements of the University and its subsidiaries.
- Monitors daily banking activity and distributes banking information to appropriate departments.
- Reviews and approves all purchase requisitions through Paramount WorkPlace.
- Oversees the maintenance of the Management Reporter application used for the University’s real-time financial reporting.
- Monitors the debt service for the University and its subsidiaries and updates various schedules related to cash flow.
- Maintains the chart of accounts for the University and its subsidiaries.
- Helps maintain the user security and access to accounting information systems.
- Constantly monitors new legislation as it specifically relates to not-for-profit and implements any needful changes to daily / monthly / quarterly / yearly processes within the Finance team.
- Works with the grants department to accurately report grant income and expenditures for fiscal year end and audit.
- Constantly monitors and assesses current internal control environment across Goodwin University operations and, where necessary, produces any new or revised procedures to support the overall goal of accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Trains and coaches staff throughout their daily work, as deemed necessary.
- Coordinates and assists with the preparation of many Goodwin University related annual audit schedules for the fiscal year audit and tax returns.
- Coordinates and performs the fiscal year end close process and runs appropriate reports.
- Assists with ad hoc work surrounding Goodwin University management needs.
- Conducts all work in a safe manner and all work safety practices are followed.
- Performs similar or related work as required, directed or as situation dictates.
- Continues professional development and training; keeps current with trends.
- Assists other department staff as needed to promote a team effort.
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- Sound knowledge of compliance regulations for organizations working within the education or not-for-profit sectors
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a collaborative style and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work effectively within stringent time constraints
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains system a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Preferred and Required Qualifications
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education, Training and Experience:
- Minimum of a B.A. with at least 3 years working knowledge in accounting or finance and at least 1 year of supervisory experience.
- CPA license/certificate preferred.
- Valid CT Driver’s license and own insured vehicle
(This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee. It is used as a guide for personnel actions and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.)
Apply Here: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=29213&clientkey=0F2F5B7B8E3C2F2F93009F1336266E36
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Goodwin University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com