Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all position (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
This position is responsible for routine processing of clean and soiled cages and accessories, maintenance and general janitorial duties in animal facilities, equipment maintenance, basic QA testing, processing deliveries from vendors and performing basic rodent husbandry tasks based on standard operating procedures and training to ensure compliance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, the Animal Welfare Act and Regulations as well as all applicable federal, state, local and institutional laws, regulations, policies and guidelines.
CLEAN AND SOILED CAGE WASH OPERATIONS 20-78%
- Cleans, sanitizes and/or sterilizes rodent cages and accessories.
- Operates large cage washers and sterilizing equipment including rack washer, tunnel washer, autoclave, disposal units, automatic watering systems and automatic bedding dispenser.
- Washes, sanitizes, sterilizes and/or fills water bottles.
- Maintains and verifies sanitization/ sterilization parameters.
- Prepares specialized caging for sterile and BSL2 rodents.
- Maintains sufficient supply of clean cages and accessories for use by technicians/investigators.
- Operates electric power jack, manual power jack and dollies.
- Moves large equipment on casters and wheels.
- Sweeps, mops and disinfects floors in washrooms, halls and support areas.
- Sanitizes and decontaminates floors, walls, ceilings and other surfaces based on standardized schedule.
- Collects and disposes of trash from the animal facility to the waste receptacles.
- Performs basic rack washer, tunnel washer, automatic bedding dispenser and autoclave equipment maintenance.
- Cleans and sanitizes support equipment.
- Stocks room with sufficient supplies (eg: food, bedding and materials).
- Performs room maintenance (eg: break rooms, locker rooms, ante rooms, procedure rooms, etc.).
CARCASS DISPOSAL 2%
- Manages animal carcasses in soiled cage wash and other procedure rooms for disposal.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED 5%
AHT 1, LEVEL A:
- Keeps records according to standards appropriate for the animal care facility.
- Folds Lab coats.
- Tests water valves.
- Performs additional projects as required or assigned.
- Communicates effectively with peers to complete job tasks.
- Performs job duties safely and promotes safety in the animal care facility.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- AHT 1, LEVEL A: No experience necessary
SKILLS AND ABILIITES
- Strictly follow written and verbal instructions.
- Maintain focus during repetitive and fast pace tasks.
- Perform procedures and repetitive tasks safely with special attention to ergonomics.
- Work in a challenging environment including but not limited to high temperatures and humidity, strong odors, loud equipment, animal waste and carcasses.
- Work in a collaborative, team environment.
- Wear personal protective equipment
- Acute observation and attention to details.
- Good and accurate record keeping.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to work overtime based on workload and deadlines.
- Must be able to work assigned standard schedule: Monday - Friday, Sunday - Thursday, Tuesday - Saturday from 6:00 a.m.- 2:30 p.m./6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m./7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m./ 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
- Management reserves the right to change or modify assigned schedules based on operational needs.
- Post offer physical required which may include respirator fit test.
- Possible rotating schedule.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
As a safeguard for employees and animals, all ARD employees may be subject to vaccines/tests/physical exams prior to working with specific animals or animal populations as required by research needs including but not limited to:
- TB Testing/Clearance (once a year)
- Tetanus/ Diphtheria (vaccination < 10 years proof of immunization and/or vaccination)
- Measles (proof of immunization and/or vaccination)
- Periodic physical exams (may include respirator fit test)
- Other vaccines/tests as required by Occupational Health & Safety standards
This position requires constant standing, reaching, adjusting focus, grasping, handling, lifting 0-20 pounds, exposure to noise, fumes/odors, mists/dusts, potential allergens and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com