Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Salk North (Torrey Pines)
Applies expertise, exercises fiduciary duty and judgment to protect the interests of Salk, its donors and grant agencies and ensures all procurement services related actions are in compliance with Salk policies and other applicable regulations. Procures, contracts, and qualifies supply sources for an assigned set of goods and services that are of a more complex or technical nature, including license agreements, custom products, consulting and professional services. Reviews and establishes price, payment schedules, quality requirements, delivery, terms, conditions and other related specifications. Obtains competition through RFQs and RFPs and maintains required documentation according to department policies, including source selection, price reasonableness and sole sources. Advises internal clients, recommends alternative sources and product/service options when appropriate. Analyzes spend within assigned goods and services to identify opportunities for strategic sourcing. Assists with formal cross-functional RFP process including documentation, supplier qualification, pre-bid meetings, scoring and analysis. Implements, administers, maintains and closes out assigned contracts including performance management, corrective actions, amendments and renewals. Mediates and resolves conflicts, disputes or issues between suppliers and internal clients. Provides customer service support including returns, invoice resolution and overdue orders. Promotes awareness and understanding of the procurement, contracting and bidding processes and policies, both internal and external (government). Maintains and updates information in the supplier database as necessary. Assists the Procurement Services Director with special projects. Position may require administrative support in other department areas.
40% Procurement & Strategic Sourcing
- Reviews, interprets and updates as needed, requisitions for goods and services. Obtains additional information as required to ensure internal client satisfaction.
- Conveys any special circumstances, requirements or terms and conditions that may apply to a pending request.
- Prepares and administers requests for quotes, proposals and information (RFx) or otherwise obtains competition as required to issue purchase orders. Reviews and negotiates the responses to ensure the best value for the internal client; taking into consideration pricing, quality, service or delivery schedules, terms and conditions.
- Selects suppliers and places orders through an e-procurement system associated with assigned goods and services and attaches all documentation required per procurement procedures and policies.
- Ensures that all requirements are met once an order is placed; works with internal clients and suppliers to resolve billing issues and delivery discrepancies. Expedites orders to meet initial delivery or new delivery requirements.
- Reviews spending trends and identifies potential opportunities for strategic sourcing, contracting, supply chain maximization and supply base consolidation. Participates in strategic sourcing initiatives.
- Assists in a back-up capacity in the absence of other Buyers, and helps train and provide guidance and informal mentoring to other Buyers as needed.
30% Contract Administration & Supplier Relationship Management
- Manages, assists or participates in all aspects of contract life cycle management from supplier qualification to RFx development to contract completion. Ensures all procedures are followed and the highest ethical standards are upheld.
- Vets potential suppliers to ensure they meet all requirements to do business with Salk. Ensures they are not debarred or otherwise excluded from government procurements actions.
- Reviews and negotiates contractual terms, pricing and other specifications, including those related to release & indemnification and non-disclosure agreements. Compiles final contract documents and ensures proper execution and filing.
- Assists in the implementation of newly awarded contracts including the coordination of meetings between internal clients, supporting departments such as Salk Research Laboratories, Facilities, Communications, EH&S, Finance, Logistics Operations, IS/IT, and suppliers.
- Manages or participates in supplier business reviews to review performance to metrics and find opportunities to increase value to internal clients. Establishes, nurtures, and maintains, excellent supplier relationships.
- Coordinates contract modifications including; amendments, performance management and corrective action requests, renewals and terminations. Ensures that all required documentation is complete and kept up to date.
- Utilizes the contract manager module in the e-procurement system as required.
20% Customer Service
- Interacts professionally, ethically and courteously with internal and external clients.
- Provides assistance to internal clients on how to enter requisitions, search for products and services, find information on their orders and provide answers to other general questions about the e-procurement system.
- Follows up to resolve invoice discrepancies, returns, service issues and overdue purchase orders with internal clients, supporting departments and suppliers. Maintains contact and provides updates on status regularly.
- Explains procurement and policies in a way that is understandable to internal and external clients. Provides guidance on forms and information required to ensure their needs are met in an expeditious manner.
- Provides and interprets information about contracts and purchase orders.
- Provides guidance to companies interested in doing business with Salk so they can provide appropriate documentation to offer quotes or proposals in the future. Gives link to Salk's supplier information website.
- Provides excellent customer service. Demonstrates integrity, and the highest of ethical standards as a representative of the Procurement Services department.
10% Administrative & Other Duties As Assigned
- Accurately enters data into the e-procurement (SciQuest / Jaggaer and financial ERP (SCT/Banner) systems.
- Maintains records and files to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures as well as government and agency regulations.
- Maintains and reports information regarding performance metrics and savings.
- Prepares letters, composes memos, and other correspondence as needed.
- Performs other administrative tasks as requested; including database management, generation of activity reports, updating SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) and document control.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS in Contract Management, Procurement, Business Law, Supply Chain Management or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Procurement or supply chain related certification from a nationally recognized organization such as ISM, APICS, American Procurement Society, Universal Public Procurement Certification Council, etc.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a senior or advanced Buyer role, preferably in a procurement department that supports a non-profit scientific organization, university or biotechnology company.
- Experience successfully managing supplier performance and relationships, preferably with suppliers performing services and more complex goods.
- Experience successfully negotiating price, quality, specifications and other contractual terms.
- Experience using an e-procurement and ERP/information management systems.
- Experience conducting requests for information, quotes and proposals (RFx).
- Experience in contract administration and life cycle management.
- Experience in procuring and contracting for goods and services directly related to scientific or health related research and their related support activities.
- Experience editing and writing contractual clauses.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to learn, interpret, understand and effectively apply internal controls, procurement policies and procedures; federal, state and agency regulations pertaining to non-profit, higher education or state institutions when preparing RFx, purchase orders and other contracts.
- Ability to accurately interpret and clarify internal client requests, acquire additional information and make suggestions in order to create RFx, statements of work, purchase orders and contracts that accurately convey the necessary requirements and specifications.
- Ability to identify, locate and qualify sources for goods and services.
- Exceptional negotiation skills related to procurement and general conflict resolution.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to be able to manage multiple projects while being results oriented and attentive to details.
- Ability to prepare and maintain documentation and records to detail the history of any procurement or contract required by Salk policies and procedures and government or agency regulations, including, but not limited to; the rationale for the method of procurement, selection for contract or purchase order type, supplier selection and the basis for pricing.
- Ability to understand and apply strategic sourcing principles.
- Ability to uphold and promote the highest ethical standards governing procurement transactions and relationships.
- Ability to communicate information, thoughts and ideas verbally and in writing in an effective, efficient and professional manner taking into account differences in social, cultural, professional and educational backgrounds and levels.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; able to pro-actively recognize issues, find the root cause, recommend creative solutions that balance the wants and needs of all parties involved and implement them.
- Exceptional customer service skills that include being approachable, professional, courteous, proactive and solution oriented. Ability to cultivate and maintain positive working relationships with internal clients and suppliers while ensuring they understand Salk procurement services and contracting policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and with others. Ability to manage and participate in cross-functional teams.
- Proficient and accurate data entry, strong math skills and excellent grammar and business writing skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, researching information with Internet browsers, navigating online shopping sites/catalogs and utilizing e-procurement and ERP systems.
- Ability to use Adobe eSign or other document signing and management system, PowerPoint, contract authoring and repository systems.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be able to work a standard 8 hour work schedule between the core department hours of 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday with overtime as needed.
- Conflict of interest disclosure required.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
This position will be constantly adjusting focus, touching/feeling, talking, hearing, reading, writing and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com