Career & Transfer Skills Development Specialist
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$43,000 - $68,800 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
Dallas College is seeking a student-centered professional with a proven track record of supporting student success through high-impact career and transfer skill development. The Career and Transfer Skills Development Specialist will be responsible for focusing on improving students’ career and transfer development skills, providing oversight for the development of programming and services that support student resume development, interview coaching, job application assistance, transfer exploration, admission and scholarship assistance, and development of a variety of marketable skills that support successful transitions to careers or partnering four-year universities and colleges.
The Career and Transfers Skills Development Specialist will provide comprehensive employment, career and transfer planning services to Dallas College students and alumni ensuring they are able to effectively plan for their futures as it relates to the financial, exploration and networking marketability aspects of career success. As a result, students will fulfill career readiness upon departure from the institution. Additionally, this position prepares and provides students with the necessary resources and guidance to transfer to a 4 year-institution. The Career and Transfers Skills Development Specialist is expected to have knowledge pertaining to the transfer process as well as develop programming centered around Dallas College students who are preparing to transfer. The Career and Transfers Skills Development Specialist must take initiative and be a self-starter as it relates to the increase and maintenance of student engagement, career readiness and the transfer process.
• Support students throughout their academic journey by creating career preparation plans, exploring and choosing a Career Pathway and program, supporting resource materials and skills (resume creation and editing, interview coaching, networking, etc.), soft skill development, as well as job, internship, externship, apprenticeship exploration.
• Support students in providing programming, resources and services that develop student skills to successfully access, navigate, and compete for workplace learning, career, and transfer opportunities.
• Responsible for delivering high-quality, career and transfer support services including resume development, interview coaching, personal brand development, and application to internships, jobs, transfer, and transfer scholarships.
• Facilitates application assistance to four-year colleges, and development of marketable and transferable skills, such as negotiating salaries, networking, personal branding, and other skills that support successful career development and transfer.
• Collaborates with a broad career-connected network of internal and external partners to leverage resources and supports that eliminate barriers and promote effective career and transfer skill development for Dallas College students.
• Leverages technology to monitor and track initiatives focused on student career and transfer skill development.
• Coordinates goal-oriented initiatives centered on increasing student career skill development and successful transfer, including and not limited to career and/or transfer fairs.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of the purpose of community colleges and the vision of Dallas College.
• Ability to identify and address opportunities and challenges that arise because of Dallas College’s current transformation.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the relational impact of Guided Pathways, career development and transfer skills.
• Demonstrate experience in successfully supporting students in creating career preparation plans and supporting resource materials and skills (resume creation and editing, interview coaching, networking, etc.).
• Demonstrate experience in coordinating student career skill development and successful transfer, including career and/or transfer fairs.
• Demonstrate experience collaborating with academic partners to support students in developing industry specific job search materials and skills.
• Demonstrate an ability to work effectively and collaboratively with administration, faculty, students, staff, and other constituent groups and partners, both within and outside a college or university with diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Demonstrate experience in communicating, team building, and working collaboratively with academic, workforce and student success partners.
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion to create a sense of belonging and address historic and systemic inequities for student success.
• Demonstrate an understanding of emerging technologies and the effective application of service technologies to enhance student career and transfer skill development virtually and in-person.
• Demonstrate strong technology skills including knowledge of and comfort with educational technologies, such as presentation and collaboration tools.
• Respond appropriately to issues in a dynamic rapidly changing educational/economic environment.
• Possess time management, organization, problem-solving, and communication skills, with an emphasis on verbal and writing skills that effectively communicate complex ideas with clarity and precision.
• Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of program evaluation and student outcome assessment.
• Be proficient in the use of quantitative and qualitative data to inform an improved student experience and student success outcomes.
• Demonstrate experience effectively engaging and supporting students in a remote work environment.
• Provide strong writing, speaking, presenting, and interpersonal skills in person and online.
• Excellent interpersonal skills using collaboration, tact, patience, and courtesy.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree plus three (3) years’ experience in career development, transfer or a related field. Official transcripts required.
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in a higher education environment.
• Current and valid Texas driver’s license required.
• ***Will be subject to a criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check.***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Support students in developing skills that facilitate successful milestones completion towards a career and/or transfer.
• Responsible for ensuring the delivery of high-quality, career and transfer support services including resume development, interview coaching, personal brand development, and application to internships, jobs, transfer, and transfer scholarships.
• Provide career skills development, including seminars and workshops on interviewing techniques, resume preparation, use of online job search tools & other job search skills training in person and virtually.
• Provide career exploration to students through administration and interpretation of career assessments, providing labor market information and aids in the development of students' career-related decision-making capabilities.
• Provide both in-person and virtual transfer workshops about transitioning and persisting in a university.
• Coordinate and implement equity-minded strategies aimed at ensuring career and transfer exploration and milestone success for historically marginalized and underserved student populations.
• Collaborate regularly with a wide variety of team members from Academics, Workforce and Advancement, Career Connected Learning, Employee Resource Center and within Student Success, to support strategies that promote student pathway persistence, experiential learning, transfer, and employment.
• Partner with other division liaisons to create a seamless student connection between career and transfer, the continuous and holistic support of the Student Success Coaches, and the pathway-specific expertise of the Pathway Specialists.
• Establish and maintain collaborative relationships and communication with faculty, staff and administrators of key departments to support and track students.
• Participate in professional development to ensure current knowledge of effective career and transfer support strategies.
• Leverage emerging technology to maintain systemic efficiencies in the delivery and tracking of student communications, services, and experiences.
• Meet regularly established goals and benchmarks.
• Prepare and present reports, proposals, and recommendations for overall programs; maintain detailed records of assigned activities.
• Ensure regulatory compliance with Dallas College, state, and federal requirements.
• Promote a customer service focused environment to respond to stakeholders needs.
• Ensure high-quality customer service standards.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
Hours will vary from 8am - 7pm Mon-Thurs; 8am - 5pm on Fridays and some Saturdays.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com