Data Analyst Assessment
Job Title Code
Salary Range (Full-Time)
$53,000 - $84,800 (dependent on experience and other considerations)
The Data Analyst is responsible for producing high-quality, accurate, and timely insights from the College’s data. The Data Analyst will be adept at combining an understanding of business needs and available data to produce models – reports, visualizations, predictive and prescriptive models, etc. – that drive effective actions by stakeholders. The incumbent will have the ability to access existing databases; extract data and construct new databases; and evaluate, clean, and transform data to fulfill the core responsibilities of the position. Additionally, the Data Analyst will support Academic Scheduling Team to deliver different types of reports in regular basis to executive staff, the board, and offices across the College. This position will also collaborate across departments such as Institutional Research, Student Services, and establish regular reporting findings.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Strong background in excel modelling, including comfort using pivot tables, filters, index-matches, xlookups, and if-statements to draw insights and ensure accuracy of data.
• Experience with SQL and other tools, procedures to query databases, extract, transform, and load data.
• Experience with relational database design principles and managing large data sets.
• Experience with statistical analysis softwares – SAS and SPSS.
• Experience with data mining, regression analysis (predictive modeling and demand forecasting preferred).
• Experience with writing data reports and visualizations in varied formats (PowerBI preferred).
• Strategic thinker who is able to use a data-driven approach to translate a question into data analysis, insights and recommendation for action creatively, accurately and independently.
• The ability to respond appropriately to issues in a dynamic, rapidly changing educational/economic environment, willing to learn new practices to improve the project results more efficient.
• Demonstrated ability to work creatively and collaboratively in a fast-moving office environment.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of diverse stakeholders through multiple channels.
• Experience with auditing and improving data quality and consistency preferred.
• Experience reporting to external agencies and accreditors preferred.
Normal physical job functions performed within a standard office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with physical challenges to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Minimum Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Business Analytics, Information technology/systems/management, or related discipline; Master’s degree preferred. Official transcripts required.
• At least two (2) years of experience with analytics, data management, and research in higher education or related field.
*** Will be subject to criminal background check. Some positions may be subject to a fingerprint check.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Supports stakeholders in engaging with data insights through training, documentation, and decision support.
• Designs, maintains, and queries databases.
• Mines data from internal and external sources and prepares the data for further analysis.
• Ensures high levels of data integrity by taking steps such as working with stakeholders to fix root causes of errors, cleaning or transforming data prior to analysis, auditing database and query design, and testing and evaluating data insights for consistency and accuracy.
• Prepares data to report key performance indicators and associated benchmarks and to fulfill government and accreditor requirements.
• Uses statistical analysis tools to identify trends, patterns, forecasts, and predictions that are useful for making decisions at all levels of the organization.
• Collaborates with members of information technology to continuously improve the availability and architecture of institutional and external data to facilitate the generation of insights.
• Gains understanding of stakeholder offices’ business needs to inform project design.
• Conducts complex analyses using scheduling data in an as-needed basis (e.g., right-sizing, enrollment growth, KPIs).
• Completes required Dallas College Professional Development training hours per academic year.
• Performs other related tasks as required.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbents may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Position requires regular and predictable attendance.
Dallas College is part of an equal opportunity system that provides education and employment opportunities without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Dallas College complies with the Americans with Disabilities and Veterans Act.
When inquiring or applying for this position, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities within Dallas College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com