Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Gage lab is seeking a Bioinformatics Analyst to work collaboratively with projects studying neurodevelopment and neurological disease across multiple model systems including mouse models, induced pluripotent-stem cell derived neurons and organoids, and human post-mortem tissue. The ideal candidate will have a background in biology and bioinformatics and/or statistics. They will be responsible for processing sequencing data and working with scientists within the lab to help them answer their specific biological questions through the lens of âomics.
(60%) Bioinformatics and Data Analysis
- Implement, optimize and execute computational approaches for integrative genomics analysis on data including but not limited to RNA-Seq, whole genome sequencing, single-cell RNA-Seq and other emerging methods.
- Work closely with researchers from multiple laboratories and scientific backgrounds simultaneously.
- Work independently or with limited supervision on informatics research projects under direction from senior core staff or with research collaborators.
- Use published pipelines, scripts, and tools to prepare and process large datasets.
- Work in a high-performance computing environment.
- Keep abreast of new scientific advances in bioinformatics, data science, artificial intelligence, machine learning and biological fields related to current projects.
- Research, implement, and test, and present on new tools and pipelines for high-throughput data analysis.
- Design and develop novel analysis pipelines and cutting-edge data analysis algorithms.
- Participate in the design, coding, and presentation of novel analysis tools for cutting-edge data analysis.
- Present advanced analysis results, tools, and pipelines at group meetings, scientific conferences, and scientific journals under the supervision of senior core personnel.
(20%) Research Design and Presentation
- Contribute and assist with project inception, experimental design, analysis and result presentation.
- Assist with the preparation of data for, manuscripts, publications, grant applications, posters and other presentations.
- Present results verbally and with visual aids in one-on-one meetings, group meetings, or conferences.
(10%) Data Science Training and Support
- Provide assistance and training to researchers on how to analyze and interpret next generation sequencing data.
- Teach bioinformatics class to lab members, such as R, Python, Linux systems.
- Help educate and advise researchers on the pros and cons of available analysis tools, and approaches, in one-on-one training sessions, or larger group workshops.
- Ensure users are aware of the limitations of analyses and approaches to help ensure high standard of scientific research.
- Train graduate student and research assistant.
(10%) Data Maintenance and Management
- Help maintain scripts, software, website, tools, wiki, and pipelines.
- Help ensure that servers and hardware relevant to data analyses are operating properly and report all possible problems.
- Liaise with IT department and manufacturers with regard to hardware or software maintenance.
- Typically requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant bioinformatics experience after a Master's degree, to include minimum of 6 months analysis experience with wearable data. If PhD, experience acquired through PhD program may be considered in lieu of professional experience.
- Programming experience (Bash, Python, C/C++, Java, or R)
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX operating system in a high-performance computing environment
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing technologies and assays.
- Familiarity with Human clinical studies.
- Experience with machine-learning algorithms and/or computational modeling.
- Experience in bioinformatic software development
MS degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment. Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results. Skill at explaining difficult concepts and training users and students.
- Ability to interact diplomatically and professionally with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Ability to identify, download, install, troubleshoot and assess new analysis tools.
- Experience with Standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Skills in applying machine learning approaches for data integration and data mining.
- High proficiency in a scientific programming language (Perl, Python, C/C++, Java, R or Web applications).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with Linux/UNIX operating systems.
- Skills in performing analysis unsupervised and in recommending modifications to algorithms and workflows to meet the needs of research projects. Demonstrated ability to contribute to experimental design and assist with the analysis and interpretation of results.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of biological sciences (particularly clinical and molecular biology).
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will require constant adjusting focus, seeing, sitting and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com