Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The CRoPS project aims to develop crop plants that sequester more carbon via extensive root systems containing recalcitrant carbon polymers to fight climate change. A major component of this research is to grow, test, collect data, phenotype, and analyze a variety of plant strains and species.
The Greenhouse Research Assistant I will work closely with the Greenhouse Research Operations Supervisor and other members of the CRoPS project and plant biology laboratories in assisting the daily research operations of the greenhouse. The Greenhouse Research Assistant I will support the overall activities of the CRoPS project. They are responsible for assisting the Greenhouse Research Operations Supervisor in the following responsibilities: growing plants from seeds, watering, fertilizing, plant care, plant harvesting, data collection, data input, data analysis, plant phenotyping, troubleshooting, and overall greenhouse operations. Additionally, they will assist biology teams in developing best practices for successfully growing the various plant strains and species that are relevant to the CRoPS project.
1) (90%) Greenhouse Research and Operations Support
- Grow a variety of plant species, including planting, growth, and harvest
- Assist in harvesting and preparing tissue from plants for further analysis
- Seed stock organization
- Assist in executing experiments in the greenhouse, which includes maintaining experimental processes, data collection, data input, data analysis, and following protocols
- May provide assistance with phenotyping and operations teams
- Assist in growing, maintaining and propagating non-transformed and transformed plants
- Support Integrated Pest Management by carrying out relevant tasks such as: sanitation of containers benches, PPE, and growth spaces; monitoring for pests and disease; deploying beneficial insects; and applying pesticides to maintain a clean growing environment
2) (10%) Compliance to Safety and Environmental Standards
- Execute greenhouse trials with upmost safety protocols and compliance to established SOPs; may provide basic safety training to others
- No experience required with relevant degree
- Experience with growing and handling plants
- Experience in lab, agricultural, or applied agricultural research
- Experience in collecting, inputting, and analyzing data
- Experience in a nursery, greenhouse, or plant biology research setting
- BA/BS in Biological, chemical, or agricultural sciences or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of basic plant care, including watering, fertilization, and weeding
- Previous experience in plant biology related lab work
- Ability to understand and accurately follow instructions and protocols
- Ability to make and document detailed observations and exercise sound judgement in executing tasks
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with all levels of staff
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team
- Attention to detail
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive functions
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform repetitive tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Knowledge of the stages of plant life and pests and diseases that may occur
- Experience with one or more of following plant species (corn, wheat, rice, canola, soybean, radish, clover, sorghum)
- Computer skills
- Experience with statistics
- Understands operation of basic lab equipment
- Knowledge of basic greenhouse operation and maintenance
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Work will be primarily located at greenhouse facility in Encinitas, CA.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Must be willing to work on weekends and holidays when necessary
This position requires constant grasping, hearing, seeing, and talking.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com