Under the general guidance of the Manager, IT Infrastructure, the System Administrator manages peak performance, availability, and security of Adler University information systems, telecommunications, and network infrastructure throughout North America. This position is responsible for maintaining information security, 24-hours monitoring, and support for all critical university applications, infrastructure, and client computing services both on-premises and in the cloud. Additionally, the role assists in the continual analysis and evolution of current systems and be expected to provide recommendations based on the review and evaluation of existing and emerging technologies. The System Administrator leverages industry knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of the IT department and the institution. Supports culture development and management efforts.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information systems, or related discipline required.
- Minimum three (3) years experience managing and supporting enterprise infrastructure and networked systems required.
One of the following certifications (or higher) preferred: MCSE, CCNA, MCP, AWS, Azure, VMWare
- Commitment to diversity and building an inclusive community.
- Outstanding deductive and investigative skills to identify and diagnose complex, non-intuitive technical problems required.
- Demonstrate self-motivation and a strong technical understanding of enterprise hardware, applications, and networked systems.
- Demonstrate excellent problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills, along with patience and a positive, customer-friendly attitude.
- Exercises an advanced level of troubleshooting skills in response to complex problems, questions, and inquiries that have been escalated by the Service Desk and junior staff.
- Demonstrated experience with PowerShell scripting to create scripts that automate repetitive tasks.
- Demonstrated experience with cybersecurity best practices (Microsoft Defender ATP, firewalls, 802.1x authentication, certificate management, VPN, SIEM, MFA, Microsoft 365 DLP policies, least privilege, Bitlocker, etc.)
- Hands-on experience managing and demonstrated excellence troubleshooting across several infrastructure disciplines, including (but not limited to) Microsoft 365, Microsoft Intune, ADFS, Azure AD, Active Directory, Exchange, DNS, DHCP, Windows operating systems, SAN storage, virtualization (VMware), server hardware, networking, VoIP, security technologies, and monitoring solutions.
- Sound understanding of infrastructure-as-code practices using industry-standard tools.
- Sound understanding of infrastructure compliance requirements in a clinical, higher education setting such as FERPA and HIPAA.
- Ability to consistently identify opportunities for improvement and make recommendations based on observations.
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objectives and employ assistance in addressing these.
- Strong collaboration acumen and abilities
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity.
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs regular network, storage, and physical, cloud, and virtual server configuration administration, operating system/application/firmware installation and updates, optimization, monitoring, log file review, etc. across all infrastructure platforms.
- Maintains performance and availability of applications systems and web services including access, performance tuning/load balancing, fault tolerance, security, upgrades/patch management, etc.
- Implementation of security policies, procedures, standards, and supporting technical systems.
- Security certificate management, including installation, renewal, re-keying, etc.
- Responds to internal and external threats to systems security.
- Maintains wired and wireless switching network, network routing, intra-campus SD-WAN, VPN connectivity, and Internet services across Adler campuses.
- Manages all messaging and collaboration services including Office 365 and Google Apps
- Maintains, monitors, and troubleshoots critical network services; Active Directory, Azure Active Directory, ADFS, Radius, DNS, DHCP, file, and print.
- Partners with vendors to identify and resolve performance and availability issues as necessary.
- Manages routine backup and periodic disaster recovery process testing/documentation for all Adler on-premises and cloud technology resources.
- Works with Manager, IT Infrastructure and Technology team to maintain relevant and accurate documentation over infrastructure, wiring, process documentation, change management, access control, etc.
- Provides tier 3 support to all users university-wide.
- Assists in IT budget planning and IT Strategic Planning as needed.
- Other duties and projects as assigned or needed.
Work Environment (Physical Demands): The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting to 25 pounds, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 80% sitting, 10% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Universal Core Behaviors:
- Effectively expresses oneself in all oral and written communications.
- Exhibits good listening and comprehension skills.
- Keeps others informed, as well as responds in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates match between words and actions.
- Responds with tact, diplomacy, respect, and composure when dealing with others.
- Promotes the spirit and essence of the School's Vision, Mission, Values, and Key Strategies through both verbal and written communication.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
- Cooperates with others toward the achievement of common goals.
- Seeks consensus and win-win solutions to problems and conflicts.
- Contributes actively and participates fully in team initiatives.
- Puts the success of the team above own interests.
- Builds and maintains constructive work relationships
Responsive to Change:
- Supports changes in the work environment.
- Displays a proactive, problem-solving approach toward work.
- Committed to life-long learning by continuously increasing skills, knowledge, and effectiveness.
- Actively seeks and initiates creative and innovative solutions.
- Exercises sound, accurate, and informed independent judgment when needed.
Quality-Driven and Accountable:
- Results-oriented and committed to quality through continuous process improvement.
- Eliminates ineffective activities and closes performance gaps.
- Anticipates and responds to customer needs.
- Monitors own performance, accept responsibility for actions, and actively seeks feedback.
- Meets deadlines and completes projects and activities in a professional, timely manner.
- Seeks opportunities to increase productivity and/or reduce costs while maintaining the highest quality standards (fiscally responsible).
Support of Vision, Mission, Values, Key Strategies:
- Supports and models the School's Values of social interest, compassion, justice, respect for the individual, honors diversity and difference, intellectual rigor, optimism, and collaboration.
- Articulates the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies in a way to educate others.
- Demonstrates active commitment in advancing the School's Vision, Mission, and Key Strategies.
- Exhibits personal integrity, honesty, zeal, and compassion.
- Aligns work processes to advance the School's strategic plan and key strategies.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The University does not discriminate against any individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of Adler's equal employment opportunity policy, Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
View/Apply this job and others from Adler University Here: Adler University Employment Website
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Adler University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com