Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Regulatory Laboratory at the Salk Institute uses data science tools to analyze large scale data ranging from genomics to human lifestyle datasets. The Bioinformatics Analyst I position will work closely with other members of the lab and the PI to advance both genomics and human behavior research projects. A significant effort will be on the collection, integration and analyses of human behavioral and physiological datasets collected from multiple sources including but not limited to smartphone, wearables, surveys, interviews, omics data and clinical test results. This position will leverage a wide range of skills with a focus on contributing to elite scientific research projects.
The Bioinformatics Analyst I position will be responsible for providing up to date working knowledge of the rapidly evolving field of data science, natural language processing, machine learning, and biostatistics to adopt or develop relevant tools to analyze data. This position will contribute directly to research projects in the host lab as well as in several collaborating laboratories covering a large spectrum of scientific fields (Circadian rhythm, Diabetes, Obesity, Metabolic syndrome, Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, Liver disease, Gut disease) and experimental techniques (RNA-seq, metabolomics, genomic sequencing).
This position will also include some training in genomics analysis and interpretation of bioinformatics data. This position is expected to have some experience with human clinical research and patient privacy. The position may also include presentation of scientific results at conferences and limited scientific writing.
(25%) Research Design and Presentation
- Contribute and assist with project inception, experimental design, analysis and result presentation.
- Assist with the preparation of data for, manuscripts, publications, grant applications, posters and other presentations.
- Present results verbally and with visual aids in one-on-one meetings, group meetings, or conferences.
- Maintain digital and analog lab notebook, including experimental design, time, methods, materials and results.
(45%) Data Analysis
- Assist host lab researchers and collaborators contribute to scientific discovery by analyzing human behavior, lifestyle, physiology and health data including but not limited to sleep, activity, nutrition, blood glucose, blood pressure, medication etc.
- Work closely with researchers from multiple laboratories and scientific backgrounds simultaneously.
- Work independently or with limited supervision on informatics research projects under direction from senior core staff or with research collaborators.
- Use published pipelines, scripts, and tools to prepare and process large datasets.
- Work in a high-performance computing environment.
- Keep informed of new developments and technical advances in the data science and machine learning fields by reading primary literature and vendor websites and attending scientific talks and conferences.
- Assist in the analyses of genomics/next-gen sequencing data, including, but not limited to: RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, GRO-Seq, Hi-C, Bisulfite-Seq, single-cell RNA-Seq and other emerging methods.
(15%) Advanced Data Analysis
- Keep abreast of new scientific advances in bioinformatics, data science, artificial intelligence, machine learning and biological fields related to current projects.
- Research, implement, and test, and present on new tools and pipelines for high-throughput data analysis.
- Participate in the design and coding of analysis pipelines and cutting-edge data analysis algorithms.
- Participate in the design, coding, and presentation of novel analysis tools for cutting-edge data analysis.
- Present advanced analysis results, tools, and pipelines at group meetings, scientific conferences, and scientific journals under the supervision of senior core personnel.
(10%) Data Science Training and Support
- Provide assistance and training to researchers on how to analyze and interpret human lifestyle and clinical data.
- Help educate and advise researchers on the pros and cons of available analysis tools, and approaches, in one-on-one training sessions, or larger group workshops.
- Ensure users are aware of the limitations of analyses and approaches to help ensure high standard of scientific research.
- Train and supervise undergraduate data science interns.
(5%) Data Maintenance and Management
- Help maintain scripts, software, website, tools, wiki, and pipelines.
- Help ensure that servers and hardware relevant to data analyses are operating properly and report all possible problems.
- Liaise with IT department and manufacturers with regard to hardware or software maintenance.
- Ensure human data collection, storage, analyses and reporting are in compliance with IRB protocols and procedures.
- A minimum of 6 months analysis experience with wearable data OR 1 year experience in multi-omics analyses.
- Programming experience (Perl, Bash, Python, C/C++, Java, or R)
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX operating system in a high-performance computing environment
- Familiarity with Human clinical studies.
- Experience with machine-learning algorithms and/or computational modeling.
- Background in statistics and machine learning.
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing technologies and assays.
- BS degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline.
- MS or PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science, biological sciences, bioengineering, mathematics, statistics or related discipline.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proven organizational and time management skills to successfully set priorities, meet established deadlines and recognize new problems with constantly changing priorities and frequent interruptions.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) needed to interact professionally and effectively in the work environment. Ability to read, comprehend, and discuss research materials. Proven ability to write, edit and proofread research results. Skill at explaining difficult concepts and training users and students.
- Ability to interact diplomatically and professionally with all levels of Institute staff and external contacts.
- Ability to identify, download, install, troubleshoot and assess new analysis tools.
- Experience analyzing smartphone app datasets (specifically from lifestyle intervention apps).
- Experience with Standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Experience applying machine learning approaches for data integration and data mining.
- High proficiency in a scientific programming language (Perl, Python, C/C++, Java, R or Web applications).
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with MAC or Linux/UNIX operating systems.
- Experience in performing human behavioral data analysis unsupervised and in recommending modifications to algorithms and workflows to meet the needs of research projects. Demonstrated ability to contribute to experimental design and assist with the analysis and interpretation of results.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of biological sciences (particularly clinical and molecular biology).
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, seeing, sitting, touching/feeling, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com