Adler University is currently seeking a Payroll Manager. Under the general direction of the VP, People & Culture, the Payroll Manager oversees and manages system and payroll processing functions for all employee categories of the Institution. Functioning includes but is not limited to: managing pay practice design, managing payroll transactions (adjustments and deductions), record maintenance, recurring and ad hoc reporting, data analysis, procedure documentation, regulatory tax reporting, and systems maintenance. The Payroll Manager identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures as well as leverages industry knowledge and best practices to promote the mission and vision of the institution and supports culture development and culture management efforts.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or related discipline required.
- Minimum four (4) years' experience in payroll processing, general accounting or related experience required. Higher education experience preferred.
- Experience with Colleague Ellucian, Ultimate Software - UltiPro and Business Objects reporting systems preferred. Experience with Global/International payroll processes preferred.
- Knowledge of enterprise systems operation for complex payroll interactions that interface with other systems (student, financial, etc.); payroll functions, processing, reporting and regulations.
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- Maintains knowledge of payroll methods, Department of Labor regulations, federal and state tax regulations, and international tax requirements.
- Advanced level in Excel and other Microsoft application skills.
- Commitment to diversity and building an inclusive community.
- Familiarity with at complex payroll system including multistate tax reporting and international Payroll processing. Ultimate Software (UltiPro) System knowledge is a plus.
- Ability to think strategically and effectively analyze data and implement data-informed decisions
- Demonstrated attention to detail as well as strong analytical, assessment and organizational skills
- Strong critical thinking, problem-solving and visioning acumen
- Ability to proactively identify challenges and barriers to stated objective and employ assistance in addressing these
- Solid proven accounting skills with professional commitment to ensuring equitable and proper pay and, accounting practices.
- Strong collaboration business acumen and abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build strong relationships at all levels of the institution
- Demonstration of Emotional Intelligence and professional maturity
- Proficient and functional knowledge of MS Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- Highest level of professionalism and integrity with the ability to handle and manage confidential information.
- Strong communication acumen including written, oral, and listening
- Willingness to work evening and extended hours as needed
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees the life-cycle semi-monthly payroll processing of all three campuses across the institution and division payroll functions including the preparation, processing, and disbursement of all regular and off-cycle payrolls, incentive compensation, deferred compensation, payroll taxes, and employee benefit payments as well as deductions for multi companies.
- Manages and communicates payroll scheduling and relevant payroll milestones to ensure the timely and accurate execution of all payroll activities.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Processes payroll system inputs including new hires, changes in salary, overtime, terminations, benefits, tax withholdings, annual elections, etc. for all salaried and hourly employees.
- Works collaboratively with the Registrar, Financial Aid Directors and Academic Affairs department to calculate process work study, student employees, adjunct faculty payments and faculty overload payments.
- Improves, automates and documents all payroll processes, procedures, and internal controls. Leads all payroll projects.
- Promotes communications and training programs in order to keep others informed of university policies and procedures, as well as changes to federal and state rules and regulations concerning the payroll function.
- Updates the payroll system with new employees' direct deposit information, and selected deductions. Timely updates Colleague with employee EFT payment information
- Acts as a systems administrator for the Ultimate UltiPro payroll system, including the year-end gateway creation, entering and following up on cases in UltiPro.
- Provides UltiPro Time Management technical support to internal consistencies.
Compliance and Reporting
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies in order to remain current with all applicable regulations and ensure compliance for both companies in U.S. and Canada.
- Ensures compliance with federal, provincial, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders including HR, Treasury, Tax and Financial Reporting and field locations. Assist in internal/external audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Provides Payroll related reports, and variance analyses:
- Reviews the quarterly payroll tax reports in collaboration with the payroll vendor
- Prepares and tests system for year-end tax reporting and processing
- Prepares periodic and year-end tax reporting W-2 and 1099 in both the U.S. and BC, Canada
- Prepares and files Record of Employment (ROE) with the Canadian Revenue Agency
- Prepares audit filing requirements for year-end financial, 403 B and Workers Compensation audits
- Reconciles the pension fund deductions with those reflected by the pension fund administrator monthly and reports issues to appropriate entities
- Multistate tax reporting monitoring and working with Ultimate Software representatives to review quarterly tax filings
- Establishes /files Multistate Payroll related business registrations and reports any new states to Ultimate via a case creation
- Other duties as assigned or required.
Covid-19 Considerations: The health and safety of our staff/faculty and their families, as well as our stakeholders, potential candidates, and the communities we serve, are of the utmost importance. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic the role will temporarily be performed remotely. The successful candidate will train and work from home until such time as it is determined that the role will return to campus full time.
Applicants should electronically submit a complete application including a cover letter addressing qualifications and interests, as well as a resume.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The University does not discriminate against any individual for employment because of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of the Adler's equal employment opportunity policy, Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.
View/Apply this job and others from Adler University Here: Adler University Employment Website
When inquiring or applying for this job opening, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Adler University and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com