Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Job location is in Greenhouse in Encinitas & Salk Main Campus (Torrey Pines)
The CRoPS project aims to develop crop plants that sequester more carbon via extensive root systems containing recalcitrant carbon polymers to fight climate change. A major component of this research is to phenotype plant traits for conducting genetic analysis and confirm trait changes of genetic changes.
The Research Assistant I will work closely with a more experienced-level Research Assistant, and other members of the CRoPS project and the Busch laboratory to conduct screening of root traits to identify genetic mechanisms that lead to optimal root systems for carbon sequestration, and conduct exploratory data analysis and data visualization to assess phenotypes and their interdependence. Responsibilities include: plant maintenance and manipulation, image acquisition, trait measurement, optimizing protocols for plant growth and plant measurements, data analysis and visualization, and troubleshooting.
(100%) Research and Lab Support
- Phenotypes plants and evaluates plant traits.
- Performs data analysis and visualization.
- Assists with maintaining lab stocks.
- No professional experience required with relevant degree
- Previous experience in lab work, which may be obtained from relevant coursework
- Previous experience in quantitative data analysis, which may be obtained from relevant coursework
- Bachelor's degree in Biological sciences, or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of relevant biology techniques.
- Ability to research information and analyze data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously begun procedures.
- Ability to operate and maintain various lab equipment.
- After initial instruction, ability to follow directions and perform routine tasks.
- Ability to communicate required information and keep accurate records of work performed.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities
- Ability to apply mathematical skills to successfully complete duties commensurate with position level, including experiments and data analysis.
- Experience in plant research
- Modelling experience
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment, although this specific position is with a plant biology-focused laboratory.
- Willing to sign an employee confidentiality agreement.
- Position may have work based at one or multiple Salk Institute locations in and around San Diego, CA. Incumbent must have ability to travel to various site locations as needed.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly handling, sitting and standing.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com