Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Research Scientist will undertake the electrophysiological analysis of defined premotor interneurons in the cervical spinal cord that contribute to the coordination of dexterous behaviors. These studies will involve whole cell recordings in the spinal cord slices and hemicords using a combination of genetic and optogenetic approaches and have the potential to expand into other experimental approaches including in vivo extracellular and EMG recording. The successful applicant will design strategies for electrophysiological recording studies, gather and collate datasets and interface with the computational team to optimize modelling studies.
(100%) Research Scientist
- Make innovative contributions pertaining to experimental design and strategy according to the goals of the research project.
- Design & execute experimental procedures, including new technologies, according to the research goals, with critical evaluation of research results.
- Collect, organize and analyze data and conduct statistical analysis.
- Independently perform electrophysiological recordings. And if needed, work collaboratively with other trainees to advance this technology in multiple projects.
- Provide up-dates of research progress to U19 Team, in verbal and written forms.
- Conduct presentations to laboratory and project collaborators.
- Prepare documents and supporting materials, including charts and graphs, for professional scientific conferences and publications in scientific journals.
- Examine and interpret scientific literature, content of web sites, and other scientific resources to maintain cutting edge research studies.
- Minimum three years of related post PhD/MD research experience or equivalent.
- Experience in scientific project/program management in an academic or industry research setting.
- Strong background in electrophysiology including slice preparation and whole-cell recording.
- Multiple publications in peer-reviewed journals, including first author publications.
- Experience analyzing, interpreting data and designing new experiments as new techniques are established.
- Experience with computational platforms such as R, Matlab, Python or equivalent.
- PhD or MD degree in biological sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong presentation and critical thinking skills.
- Proficient in advanced techniques with relevant software: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. in addition to experience working within shared work environments and communication platforms: Slack, Zoom, etc.
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of electrophysiological and genetic techniques.
- Ability to perform highly complex experiments and techniques with high levels of reliability and accuracy within time constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research. This includes the ability to (a) develop, maintain, execute, and complete research projects; and (b) perform basic data and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize work and independently manage multiple, diverse and competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly adjusting focus, hearing, seeing, sitting, analyzing, calculating, communicating, reading, reasoning, writing and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com