Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The laboratories of Professor Ron Evans, Ph.D. and Assistant Professor Dannielle Engle, Ph.D. are seeking an experienced and motivated research assistant to be a part of a multi-disciplinary team working to identify novel therapeutic strategies and diagnostic indicators for pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer. The successful candidate will perform tasks and experiments to support the research priorities and use organoid and mouse models to help further our studies in these areas. In addition, the candidate will help maintain our animal colony, participate in animal therapeutic studies, provide tissue culture support, and help with the daily operation of both labs.
Pre-clinical Therapeutics and Diagnostics (50%):
- Keeping meticulous mouse study records
- Operation of the BioPlex instrument to evaluate levels of secreted factors in mouse serum and plasma
- Supporting ongoing pre-clinical studies, including administering doses (PO, SC, IV and IP), health monitoring, palpations, collecting samples, and performing necropsies
- Performing ultrasound imaging and measurement of tumor volume
- Performing survival surgeries, including pancreatic orthotopic transplantation
- Coordinating animal care with animal core facility staff
Culture Support (30%)
- Upkeep, supply, inventory and organization of the tissue culture facilities, training of new tissue culture users, and coordination with other tissue culture room users from other labs
- Operation of the BioPlex to evaluate levels of secreted factors in cell culture supernatant and lysates
- Maintenance, expansion, cryopreservation, protein/RNA/DNA isolation and characterization of mouse and human organoid and monolayer cultures
- Making general tissue culture and organoid culture medium, including the production and quality control of conditioned media
Lab Support (20%):
- Execution of molecular biology techniques such as cloning, DNA/RNA isolation, and PCR
- Coordinating and training lab members
- Supporting recordkeeping, lab organization and inventory
- Participating in regular laboratory meetings
- Coordination of tasks with Dr. Evans and Dr. Engle and others in the labs
- No professional experience required with relevant degree.
- Experience with ultrasound imaging and tumor volume analyses, mouse dosing routes (PO, IV, SC, IP) and health monitoring, data analysis and entry using Graphpad Prism and Google Drive.
- Bachelor's in biology or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to research information and analyze data as well as follow verbal and/or written protocols, including follow-up on previously initiated procedures
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to accurately record data in lab notebook and perform data entry using both PC and Mac operating systems. Use of commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft office
- Must be highly organized, effective at multitasking, and adept at juggling changing priorities
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
- Prior experience in cancer biology
- Prior experience performing animal therapeutic studies
- Prior experience with sterile technique and tissue culture
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to complete occasional duties on weekends and holidays, and to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Must successfully pass background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, seeing, touching/feeling, reasoning, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com