Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Research Assistant I position will focus on research support related to Neuroscience, neurodegenerative disease, and stem cell biology, maintaining and differentiating cell lines, processing samples, and performing various molecular biology techniques under the direct supervision of a Postdoc. Position will be trained in specific techniques and methods in order to execute experiments designed by Postdocs. Research Assistant will be expected to carry out, document, organize, and present experimental results to research team under close supervision. Candidate must be willing to with bacteria, human cells, stem cells, and viral vectors.
Perform histology techniques such as:
- Sectioning and staining
- Maintaining mouse colony, breeding and follow all regulatory procedures.
- Immune-cyto-chemical staining and microscopy techniques
(50%) Maintenance of histology area
- Maintaining inventory of histology supplies such as antibodies and disposable materials.
- Maintaining equipment such shakers, microtomes and cryostats.
- Maintaining cleanliness of histology area.
- Maintaining antibody records including how to use the antibody, vendor an conjugation
- Maintaining and organizing liquid nitrogen banks
- No professional experience required with relevant degree
- Some experience with histology, which may be gained from coursework and/or work experience
- Experience with mouse handling
- Demonstrated experience in wet bench work.
- Demonstrated experience in analysis of molecular biology data.
- Demonstrated experience with confocal imaging and imaging analysis.
- 1-2 years of laboratory experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of histology, microscopy, and molecular biology techniques.
- Proficient in the operation of standard lab equipment and computer hardware/software.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or equivalent
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities and able to prioritize.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work with human cells and complete all appropriate associated training.
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work independently and must have a flexible schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Must be willing to sign a confidentially agreement
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position will be constantly adjusting focus, seeing and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com