Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
Under general supervision and with limited to no instructions for routine assignments, this position is responsible for duties in support of the Principal Investigator's (PI) studies. Range of duties includes, but is not limited to: performing molecular biology techniques, immunology techniques, animal models, data collection and analysis, preparing data for publications and reports. Maintains and prepares accurate records of all experiments. Assists with lab maintenance such as cleaning of laboratory glassware, sterilization of materials and preparation of solutions. Assists with maintaining adequate inventory of materials and equipment to ensure supplies for experimental needs.
(70%) Research Support
- Conduct molecular biology, cellular biology and immunology techniques.
- RNA extraction and analysis.
- Cloning (restriction enzyme digestion, ligation, minipreps), Western blot, etc.
- DNA extraction and analysis.
- PCR and rtPCR.
- Maxi preps.
- Gel Electrophoresis.
- Recombinant DNA techniques.
- Retrovirus generation and transduction.
- Primary T cell culture and assays.
(30%) Laboratory Support
- Provides assistance to lab manager to ensure operation of essential equipment, making sure adequate supplies are available for routine experimental procedures, etc.
- Collect, wash and return laboratory glassware to stock; maintain a clean, orderly work area within the laboratory.
- Perform routine maintenance and make minor repairs to simple laboratory apparatus and instruments.
- Assist in the set-up and operation of simple laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data; tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- Perform inventory of chemicals and supplies; order laboratory supplies and stock laboratory areas as required.
- Operate sterilization equipment ensuring appropriate conditions for material being processed.
- Prepares various solutions and/or media according to established protocols.
- Mouse colony record keeping and maintenance.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience as a lab technician or research assistant, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience with general lab maintenance, including cleaning, stocking supply inventory, and ensuring the maintenance of a sterile environment.
- Demonstrated experience and application of molecular biology knowledge preferably in biochemistry and cell culture.
- Demonstrated experience and application of immunology knowledge preferably in T cell culture and related assays.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences or related field, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Master's degree in biological sciences or related field.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of tissue culture, molecular biology techniques, biochemistry, physiology and cell biology.
- Ability to carry out new experimental procedures with accuracy and efficiency. Demonstrated ability to follow and interpret verbal and/or written instructions, including follow-up on previously begun procedures. Demonstrated ability to record data accurately and enter into appropriate medium.
- Demonstrated ability to calculate and prepare chemical solutions accurately.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Highly organized, effective at multitasking, adept at juggling changing priorities.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with both PC and MAC operating systems, standard business office equipment and commonly used software and tools, such as Microsoft Office, electronic mail, and the internet.
- Proficiency with common office software applications as well as software applications used for research, recording, and analysis.
- Proven ability to work both independently and also as part of a collaborative team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility. Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse groups. Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with personnel at all levels.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Satisfactory completion of the Institute's background investigation.
- Willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on research needs and deadlines.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant adjusting focus, seeing, and working inside.
Apply Here: https://www.salk.edu/about/careers/
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
When inquiring or applying for positions at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com